none
Using Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro for school work and other purposes like gaming and web browsing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I need an operating system to use to do my School work and also for some other purposes like gaming and web browsing. With my University mail address, I can download and get a key for Windows 8.1 Industry Pro Operating System on Azure. But I heard that this operating system is made for a specific purpose, like to work on some specific machines rather than daily use, so I wanted to ask if using this OS for the purposes I have mentioned like School work and gaming would violate the license agreement of this Operating System. As 8.1 Industry Pro is the OS I am given on Azure as a student, I wanted to know this. I hope someone can enlighten me about that.

I am not a native speaker so there might be some problems in my message, I am sorry for them as they will probably make it harder to understand.

Thanks for replies. 

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:42 PM

Answers

• Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry is intended for those building devices (i.e. ATM machine, test equipment, digital displays, POS systems, etc.). Your school has access to this Windows version for school projects where you can build devices with the operating system and connect to Azure. 

Using the OS as you described is technically possible, but goes against the legal agreement. I would recommend use a PC with Windows 10.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Same thing, the purpose of Microsoft providing these "embedded" operating systems are for education purposes. They are to be build into school projects, and not used as a general purpose OS.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:28 AM

All replies

• Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry is intended for those building devices (i.e. ATM machine, test equipment, digital displays, POS systems, etc.). Your school has access to this Windows version for school projects where you can build devices with the operating system and connect to Azure. 

Using the OS as you described is technically possible, but goes against the legal agreement. I would recommend use a PC with Windows 10.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hello Sean, thank you very much for the reply! I also used to have access to Windows 7 Embedded Standard Operating System, which was downloadable for students on DreamSpark, which later changed its name to Microsoft Imagine. Is it also the same as this one, or can that one be used for the purposes I have mentioned?

Edit:

Here I found the license agreement of Windows 7 Embedded.  There is something about it.
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/0/E/B0E419F7-DAE0-40FD-884E-557FC0FFDC2E/Windows Embedded Compact 7 RTM EULA FINAL.pdf

i. Individual Non-Commercial Use.  If you are an individual (that is, a natural person, and not an organization, business entity, or unit of government), then you may flash or download the Runtime Image to your device for your own Non-Commercial use.

^ Could please someone enlighten me about this? Does this apply to my purposes of using?

• Edited by TomaszAabb Tuesday, April 9, 2019 6:36 PM To add a link
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 5:06 PM
  • Same thing, the purpose of Microsoft providing these "embedded" operating systems are for education purposes. They are to be build into school projects, and not used as a general purpose OS.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:28 AM