SQLServer2012-KB2716442-x64 failing during installation RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to install recent update for SQL server 2012 and I cannot:

SQLServer2012-KB2716442-x64 failing during installation, both Windows Update and manual setup.

The last entry in log before rollback is following:

10/10/2012 19:07:04.981 Attempting to run user requested action from media ScenarioEngine.exe
    10/10/2012 19:07:04.981 Attempting to launch process d:\3a871c25ddff78ec44f571\x64\ScenarioEngine.exe
    10/10/2012 19:11:15.917 Process returned exit code: 0x858C001E
    10/10/2012 19:11:15.917 Media ScenarioEngine.exe returned exit code: 0x858C001E

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:31 PM

Answers

• Yes this si expected since you have previous failed operation now can you try running

setup.exe /action=repair

then install the patch ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    View Ahmed Ibrahim's profile on LinkedIn

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:31 PM
  • can you try to decompress the update package then run it from decompressed location

to decompress the CU package run

<package.exe> /x:"c:\SQLServer2012CU"

to install it 

run from command prompt

setup.exe /Action=patch

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.

• Marked as answer by Zefir Friday, October 12, 2012 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:39 PM

All replies

• I have the same problem, no references on the Internet...
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:34 PM
  • can you try to decompress the update package then run it from decompressed location

to decompress the CU package run

<package.exe> /x:"c:\SQLServer2012CU"

to install it 

run from command prompt

setup.exe /Action=patch

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

• Marked as answer by Zefir Friday, October 12, 2012 10:50 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:39 PM
  • I am receiving following error while installing security patch for SQL 2012 and above steps doesn't help.

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair during configuration for features [SQL_DReplay_Controller,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB2716442), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.

Error code 0x84B20001.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0xEDCCDB3F%25400xF762992B%25401202%25401

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Yes this si expected since you have previous failed operation now can you try running

setup.exe /action=repair

then install the patch ?

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Where is the package located? It comes down with Windows Update (Win7).

If you believe that I've answered your question, please remember to mark it as answered.

MicroApplications, Inc. -- Information Systems Integration and Custom Software Development

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:48 AM
  • This did not help. I am on Win 8 RTM machine. On running command setup /action=Repair, I get following error. 

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The specified value 'Repair' is invalid. To run in unattended mode, you must specify a valid ACTION. The valid values for ACTION are: '
    None
    RemovePatch
    Uninstall
    Install
    Upgrade
    Patch
    Repair
    LandingPage
    ClusterReport
    RunRules
    PrepareFailoverCluster
    CompleteFailoverCluster
    InstallFailoverCluster
    RemoveNode
    AddNode
    EditionUpgrade
    Bootstrap
    ComponentUpdate
    Help
    RebuildDatabase
    RunDiscovery
    PrepareImage
    CompleteImage
    ConfigureImage'

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:58 AM
  • You need to run the repair from the original media source for example if your SQL DVD is in E drive then you need to launch setup.exe from there.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:15 AM
  • Hello   I'm having the same problem. This update came in the new group of windows updates. All updates were successfull except for

the Security Update for SQL Server 2012 RTM(KB2716442). Error code is 84BE0BCE. The thing is I have SQL Server 2012 installed

but it is not the RTM version. It is version 11.0.2100.60. I have tried unchecking the update but the check mark continues to come back

and when I shut down it continues to try and install this update. How can I make it stop?

Thanks

Robert Bassman

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Hi Robert

Would you please share SQL Server setup logs, you can use file sharing/storage service like SkyDrive.com

To locate SQL Server 2012 logs check-out

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.110).aspx

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:56 AM
  • I have loaded my last setup log to skydrive.com. What information do you need to access it?
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:15 AM
  • The url to access the log folder

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Seems like you don't give permission you could give permission to every one to read the folder or you can specify

AhmedIbrahim(at)Outlook(dot)com

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:46 AM
  • This is the root cause

The machine is clustered, but the cluster is not online or cannot be accessed from one of its nodes. To continue determine why the cluster is not online and rerun setup instead of rerunning the rule since the rule can no longer detect a cluster environment correctly.

I see from the summary log that the installed instances are not clustered, I would suggest the following if the machine is cluster enabled try to see why is the cluster is not online 

Second if the machine is not clustered below thread suggest that this ruel is being excuted though the machine is not c;ustered due to media corruption, one advice here is to re-download the patch, decompress it to local folder then run setup from local folder

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlgetstarted/thread/86d3ca43-287a-4195-bc6f-3752215e09df

to decompress patch run the following command

<patch.exe>  /x:"c:\SQLServer2012CU"

the launch setup from c:\SQLServer2012CU

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:14 AM
  • I have decompressed the patch and run setup from C:\SQLServer2012CU The setup fails with

Not clustered or the cluster service is up and online.

I do not have the knowledge to try to see why the cluster is not online.

Do I need to uninstall SQL Server 2012 and re-install ?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:50 AM
  • Would you please check-out below KB article

A repair operation fails when you repair a stand-alone instance of SQL Server 2008 that is installed on a node of a server cluster

I see from the summary that you do have SQl Server express 2008 installed.

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:13 AM
  • How do you start the cluster service on the node?  What node? 
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:18 AM
  • I have gone into Computer Management, selected services and there is no Cluster Service. Should there be?
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:50 AM
  • Running this action I have following error:

The following error occurred:
    The specified directory, "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\", for the INSTA
    LLSHAREDDIR parameter is not valid because this directory is compressed or is in
     a compressed directory. Specify a directory that is not compressed.

Error result: -2054422498
    Result facility code: 1420
    Result error code: 30

It is a bit pity that :

a) error is not displayed always

b) directoy cannot be compressed - I'm using SQL only for development it is even not running every time so why I cannot compress folder?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:03 AM
  • I have no messages regarding clustering (which I am nor using) or permissions and still have been unable to solve the problem.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Same issue on my computer as well as 17 other development workstations on our team.

All running WIndows 7 64 professional with SQL Server 2012 professional.

Anyone ever figure this out?

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Sorry for the delay, but I did solve it: placed the SQL Server 2010 DVD, ran the setup, chose repair, and after it finished, I was able to install the patch.

Hope this works for you!

Regards,

RP

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:56 PM
  • You need to run the repair from the original media source for example if your SQL DVD is in E drive then you need to launch setup.exe from there.

Ouch, how do I know for sure from which media source I did install? I have an iso file which I mount using DAEMON and I do not have a record of the drives I used. Meanwhile I am getting the same long error list - as SunnyDhuri reports above - over and over.

Did try different drives (c:, e:, f:, g:) to no avail.

Luc van Vugt, Imtech ICT Never Stop Learning

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:12 PM
  • This will be listed in the SQL Server setup summary log under

Installation location: 

FAQ
    ----
    Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    My Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Absolutely un-acceptable that a failed patch requires a repair for SQL Server 2012. 

Monday, December 31, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Meanwhile I did not try the suggested workaround but SQL Server 2012 SP1 was released and got that installed.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Meanwhile I did not try the suggested workaround but SQL Server 2012 SP1 was released and got that installed.

That works for me as well thanks. A note of warning: For some reason KB2716442 still shows up in Windows Update after SQL Server 2012 SP1 has been installed. In my case installing KB2716442 after SP1 had already been installed had disastrous consequences. Most of the Administrative tools shortcuts and some control panel shortcuts got 'broken' even though they were referencing the correct locations on disk. The only workaround I found viable was to do a system restore.
    Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:45 AM
  • on mine i have this problem because i put the clustered machine on pause

just unpause the cluster and its passe ... that weird i pass 1 hour trying to see why its not updating ...

sql is not clustred its only for vmm

that not funny

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:37 PM
  • Skip the hassle with mssql setup repair.

The error states that the installation is not supported on a compressed drive or mssql folder. Turn of compression for the drive or any mssql / system folder and happily apply the mssql updates.

• Proposed as answer by fpanzer Monday, April 4, 2016 10:48 AM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 10:48 AM