none
Problems installing Outlook 2007 VSTO Add-In RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to install a VSTO add-in for Outlook 2007 Ultimate SP2 on a computer running Windows XP.  If I use a ClickOnce installation, it works fine, but I can't do an All User option with that method.  If I use a MSI Installer, it doesn't load the add-in but shows it in the Inactive Add-ins list.  If I remove the add-in from the list, go to the MyAddin.vsto manifest and execute it directly, it installs and loads correctly after that in Outlook.

    Here is what I have observed in the Outlook Trust Center Addins list and in the Registry entries for the addin.

    Manifest Location:

    ClickOnce:  file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/ClickOnce/MyAddIn.vsto.  

    MSI Installer: C:\Program Files\MyPublisher\MyAddin\MyAddin.vsto|vstolocal.  (This is set as [TARGETDIR]MyAddin.vsto|vstolocal in installer.  This is the right location of the file after installation)

    After I remove it, and execute MyAddIn.vsto to install: file:///C:\Program Files\MyPublisher\MyAddin\MyAddin.vsto

     

    I don't know if this location difference has anything to do with success vs. failure, but it's the only thing I've noticed different about the installations.  They all install the same registry keys and the same prerequisites.  Since two methods work, I assume this is a problem with the customization/load and not the add-in itself.

    Any ideas of what to do here?  We have had a terrible time installing this add-in across different configurations Windows 7 vs Vista vs XP, 2007 vs. 2010, 32-bit vs 64-bit.  I haven't found any good help on how to make it work for all of these.


    Cindy
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:26 AM

Answers

  • My clients were able to install the add-in once they updated Office 2007 to current.  Thanks!
    Cindy
    • Marked as answer by HorseFly Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:04 PM

All replies

  • Hi Cindy,

    There was a 3-part series of articles by Misha Shneerson that helped me out tremendously with this issue. Here is a link to her last update and it provide information and links that I hope you will also find helpful.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mshneer/archive/2007/09/04/deploying-your-vsto-add-in-to-all-users-part-i.aspx


    Kind Regards, Rich ... http://greatcirclelearning.com
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:45 AM
  • I have been through that series about 50 times in the past.  The install did work at one point, so I think I have all the pieces.  This reminded me though that I do have an issue with the Hot Fix for Office 2007 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976811.  It won't install because it says the expected version is not found.  It did that before and it was resolved by installing SP2.  But that didn't fix it this time.  I'm wondering if it is because this is a test computer and I have since uninstalled Office 2007, installed Office 2010, and then uninstalled 2010, and installed 2007 (w/SP2).  Perhaps the Hot Fix thinks 2010 is on there now?


    Maybe if I could get that working, this issue would be resolved.


    Cindy
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Ok, last night my test computer did a Windows Update automatically and now everything installs and works fine.  I guess it had to grab the years of Office 2007 updates after I installed it yesterday. 

    This helps me some.  The reason I'm testing this at all is because a Client with Office 2007 and Windows XP couldn't get the Add-In installed.  So I will have to have them be sure they have all the updates first, that they have installed the HOt Fix successfully, and then possibly get back to you if it still doesn't work.


    Cindy
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:18 PM
  • My clients were able to install the add-in once they updated Office 2007 to current.  Thanks!
    Cindy
    • Marked as answer by HorseFly Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:04 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:04 PM