none
Open word on local computer office uri schemes special characters RRS feed

• Question

• I want to open word-documents by clicking on a link in my solution. The link below shows how it is structured in ofe for office. This solution is really nice because it works in every browser but i have problems with special characters.

ms-word:ofe|u|file://our.local/Testing ÅÄÖ.DOCX

I Have tried different approaches to solve this problem but its not working when åäö is present in the path. EncodeURI on the path does not help for instance.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/office-uri-schemes does not describe anything out of the ordinary and only follow URI spec.

Documents without special characters works great but i can not figure out how special characters should be encoded to make it work.

If i take the file:\... part and past it into any browser it is working but not with the ofe prefix. So it should be some problem with encoding due to it is working fine without any special characters.

Running in cmd is also working:

So in this case i guess the browser is encoding the characters before sending to protocolhandler ??

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 12:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This IT Professional forum is for general questions, feedback about Office clients. To help you better resolve the problem, I will move the thread to Office for developers Forum. You may get more helpful replies there.

Thanks for your kind understanding.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 2:43 AM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem. And it seems it is actually caused by the browser encoding the URL before passing it to ms-word (Firefox doesn't seems to have this problem)

Probably related to the fact that since 1803, URI-encoding in UNC paths is interpreted literally in Windows 10.

ms-word should decode the percent encoded characters before trying to open the file.

Saturday, May 25, 2019 8:05 PM
  • I added a support case for this issue and was told that this should be fixed 16.0.11901.20070 but im running a later version of word and i still have this issue! Is this really fixed? Or am i doing something wrong here?
    Friday, October 4, 2019 6:52 PM