Workflow to check and update existing item RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Friends,

I have a workflow on a master list which will create a copy of that item in child list when an item is created in master list. The workflow runs when a new item is created

Now I need a workflow to run when an item is added and modified. The functionality has to check if the current item exists in the child list. If not then it should create a new item else it should modify the existing item.

Right now, when I modify the existing item in the master list, its creating a new item in child list instead of modifying the existing one.

How to achieve that functionality? How to check for the item and modify the existing item

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:06 AM

Answers

• Hi

check this similar post

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/787bdd9f-a40b-4aff-9cd1-2d11995c5ca6/workflow-to-update-records-in-all-child-list-items-on-change-in-parent-list-item?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

• Proposed as answer by John NaguibMVP Monday, December 8, 2014 11:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:22 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hi

create 2 separate workflows. First one will start when an item is created - and will add a new item in child list, the second will start when an item is changed , and will update the child list

Romeo Donca, Orange Romania (MCSE, MCITP, CCNA) Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if the post has been helpful for you.

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Hi

another approach

create a schdeuled powershel scrtipt which will update/replicate child list based on master list items

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:38 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Can you suggest how to update the child list using workflow? Powershell is out of option

Monday, December 8, 2014 10:40 AM
  • Hi

check this similar post

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/787bdd9f-a40b-4aff-9cd1-2d11995c5ca6/workflow-to-update-records-in-all-child-list-items-on-change-in-parent-list-item?forum=sharepointcustomizationprevious

• Proposed as answer by John NaguibMVP Monday, December 8, 2014 11:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pratik Vyas Thursday, December 18, 2014 11:22 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 10:45 AM