Office 2003 and 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIAs) RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft has an MSI for installing the Office 2003 PIA and a different MSI for installing the Office 2007 MSI.

The web site says that the 2007 MSI is for Office 2007.  Will it support 2003 VSTO routines?  Will it install with Office 2003?  Will it provid a return code if it doesn't install?  Will VSTO routines written for Office 2003 work with Office 2007 with the 2003 Interop installed?  Will the 2003 Interop even install in an Office 2007 machine.

Yes, we can set up virtual machines and spend hours  figuring it out, but shouldn't Microsoft have thought of thi an published it in MSDN or, butter yet, put it on the site that has the MSI's?

Why not do it right and release an MSI that installs the right PIA regardless of which version of Office is installed.

That way, ISV's don't have to spend HOURS and HOURS figuring out which MSI to run as part of their install that has an Office Add-in and we won't have to distirbute MEGABYTES AND MEGABYTES to have both MSI's in the install.

OR, why not just install the PIA with the office install?  That way the routines will be there to a accept the code we write.

Thanks for the rant time.

Pat

Thursday, February 15, 2007 5:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks Brenda,

I've also posted there.  I also started an incident with the Microsoft ISV partner team.  The feedback I've gotten so far is that the VSTO folks are working on some kind of a white paper that will be out in a couple of weeks.

So far, we've been ok installing the 2003 interops into a 2007 environment, but it makes me nervous.  I'm seeing some posts about PIAs not uninstalling completely and creating bad situations.

-Pat-

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Pat,

The experts on the VSTO forum might be able to provide some in depth info on this issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=16&SiteID=1. At the very least, a post to that forum will make that team aware of this pain point, if they're not already.

Best,

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Thanks Brenda,

I've also posted there.  I also started an incident with the Microsoft ISV partner team.  The feedback I've gotten so far is that the VSTO folks are working on some kind of a white paper that will be out in a couple of weeks.

So far, we've been ok installing the 2003 interops into a 2007 environment, but it makes me nervous.  I'm seeing some posts about PIAs not uninstalling completely and creating bad situations.

-Pat-

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:18 PM