Unpinning Secondary Tiles

Question

• It is, of course, possible to unpin a tile programmatically, and the C# quickstart gives an example of doing so, but....

The UI Guidelines don't specify that an unpin capability is required, and I'm inclined to think that it's best not to provide one. My thinking:

• There's an existing UX for unpinning secondary tiles via the Start Menu.
    • Since the app isn't notified when the user unpins a tile from the Start Menu, the only way to know whether to show the pin or unpin UX is to query all app secondary tiles using one of the FindAll...() methods just before the UX is displayed (typically on an app bar). If the user is displaying the app bar for some other reason, that's a lot of wasted cycles.
    • Re-pinning an existing tile just quietly replaces it. No harm, no foul.

Does this seem reasonable? Has anybody come up with a method of displaying the correct UX without re-querying immediately before display? (Always possible...probable even...that I'm missing something obvious.)

Rebecca M. Riordan

UPDATE: I just realized that of course the Exists() method lets you avoid enumerating all the app's secondary tiles, but it still seems like wasted cycles....
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 2:06 PM

Answers

• It depends on the specific app usage. There is no universal official recommendation.

For what it's worth: IE does not provide an "unpin" button.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:49 PM
    Owner
  • I would either not provide an unpin option or query to make sure it was relevant. Offering to unpin something that wasn't pinned would likely be confusing. In most cases this wouldn't display so often as to be a significant use of cycles.

--Rob

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:31 PM
    Owner

All replies

• I would either not provide an unpin option or query to make sure it was relevant. Offering to unpin something that wasn't pinned would likely be confusing. In most cases this wouldn't display so often as to be a significant use of cycles.

--Rob

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:31 PM
    Owner
  • Well, yes, and I'm suggesting that of those two options, not providing unpin seems slightly prefereable. Is there no official recommendation then?

Rebecca M. Riordan

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:32 PM
  • It depends on the specific app usage. There is no universal official recommendation.

For what it's worth: IE does not provide an "unpin" button.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:49 PM
    Owner
  • LOL. That'll do. Thanks, Rob

Rebecca M. Riordan

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:28 PM