Comparison between On premise TFS 2015 and Visual Studio Team Services(VSO)? RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning everyone! Does anyone know where I can find a good comparison between On Premise TFS 2015 and Visual Studio Team Services (formally Visual Studio Online)?

I am in the process of researching the two to determine if we want to move to Visual Studio Team Services. Here are some of the questions I'm trying to find an answer to:

1) What features are available in Visual Studio Team Services and NOT included with On Premise TFS 2015?

2) What advantages does Visual Studio Team Services have over On Premise TFS 2015?

The only two advantages I know of are:

- Not having to manage our own servers/workstations

- Always having the latest features without having to upgrade

It seems the disadvantages out way the advantages by a long shot. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The features comparison shows below:

In VSO                    In TFS

Cloud Load Testing                                  yes                              no

do not need to upgrade TFS                     yes                               no

SharePoint Integration                             no                                yes

Data Warehouse & Reporting                    no                                yes

Work Item Customization                          no                               yes

Except the two advantages you mentioned, VSO also provides an integrated Build Service. If you want to learn more about VSO, you can go to VSO forum, the link is: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=TFService .

Friday, November 20, 2015 9:18 AM