none
Is using an outlook developed form to track employee time off feasable? RRS feed

• Question

• I may or may not need to learn LOTS more about Outlook, I will let you, the forum members tell me if plans are possible and if learning to develop MS Outlook forms is the way to go.

I visualize employees opening an Outlook form I create based on the form used to schedule a meeting and using that form to submit a request for scheduled time off to a supervisor that would approve the time off by accepting the meeting. A notification of the request would be forwarded to a time keeper who enters accrued time off ballances for the supervisor to make the decision to approve the time off. A calendar accessable to supervisors and timekeepers keeps a record of time taken and shows future scheduling.

Is the effort to learn to design my own form in Outlook going to be worth the effort and achieve my objective? Is there another route I should be taking instead? What recomendations do you have to start educating myself on Outlook form development?

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• Outlook custom forms are "not the most robust solutions" to quote a friend on the Outlook team. The "modern" approach would be to use a Form Region with a COM addin, if you are using Outlook 2007 or 2010.

For an approach using custom Outlook forms see the routed form examples and hte vacation request form example at www.outlookcode.com to see how those are done.

That site has a ton of examples and samples and information on Outlook development. If you plan to do any development in Outlook it's a great resource.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "Sergeant Crusty" <=?utf-8?B?U2VyZ2VhbnQgQ3J1c3R5?=> wrote in message news:2218a9eb-6b00-4747-aa23-20837d2c9a4d...

I may or may not need to learn LOTS more about Outlook, I will let you, the forum members tell me if plans are possible and if learning to develop MS Outlook forms is the way to go.

I visualize employees opening an Outlook form I create based on the form used to schedule a meeting and using that form to submit a request for scheduled time off to a supervisor that would approve the time off by accepting the meeting. A notification of the request would be forwarded to a time keeper who enters accrued time off ballances for the supervisor to make the decision to approve the time off. A calendar accessable to supervisors and timekeepers keeps a record of time taken and shows future scheduling.

Is the effort to learn to design my own form in Outlook going to be worth the effort and achieve my objective? Is there another route I should be taking instead? What recomendations do you have to start educating myself on Outlook form development?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:05 PM