how to develop a chating application. RRS feed

• Question

• how to develop a chating application by using .net.

If anyone knows please explain me clearly.

thankyou.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hello Chintalapudi, ,

You mention Remoting but Remoting, at least .Net Remoting, has been rolled into WCF.  You also ask about half duplex & p2p.  Half duplex only means that one direction is transmitting at a time.  The more important part is 'duplex', which means that there is bidirectional communication. 

P2P chat examples are everywhere, but microsofts p2p networking software is seriously flawed.  Its very easy to have chat sessions on multiple meshes instead of a single mesh; you have to communicate with Microsoft's peer resolver (or you have to create your own); and p2p has issues with sleeping pcs; Kerboros, IPV6...  (I could go on for days about problems with p2p). 

Your best bet is to use the WCF NetTcpBinding for LANs or WsHttpBinding if you plan to have the chat sessions extend past the NAT on your router and go out into the 'real world'.

The best WCF chat example is in the Visual Studio 2010 Training Kit in the WhatsNewInWCF4 folder.  It uses Discovery to locate instances of the chat program and can run, unlike many WCF examples, on multiple computers.  There is no 'client' or 'server', just chat sessions.  Its very, very well written!

If you're not using VS2010, the program will still run if you don't include the Discovery part.  You can download the kit from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=752cb725-969b-4732-a383-ed5740f02e93&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

Charles

• Proposed as answer by Lie You Friday, March 4, 2011 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lie You Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:31 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• You have to follow HALF DUPLEX communication

You need  to write a Server that listens to Clients

You need to write Client that communicates to other Clients via server

Its all could be done by socket programming.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:41 AM

hai sreedhar

i don't know about socket programming.

is it possible to develop using remoting.

please explain me about socket programming.

thank you.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:57 AM

Why the requirement on half duplex communication?

Why the requirement on not using p2p?

Kind regards

RootKid

"The improbable we do, the impossible just takes a little longer." (Steven Parker)
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Hello Chintalapudi,             

Welcome to the MSDN Forum. I am Rocky and I found some chatting applications for your reference.

Here are links:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vb/Chatting_Application.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/AliAspNetChat.aspx

Here is a similar thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/wcf/thread/50C8C27C-35E6-413D-96AB-18095C7FE18C

If you have any unclear, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Rocky

Rocky Yue[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 4, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Hello Chintalapudi, ,

You mention Remoting but Remoting, at least .Net Remoting, has been rolled into WCF.  You also ask about half duplex & p2p.  Half duplex only means that one direction is transmitting at a time.  The more important part is 'duplex', which means that there is bidirectional communication. 

P2P chat examples are everywhere, but microsofts p2p networking software is seriously flawed.  Its very easy to have chat sessions on multiple meshes instead of a single mesh; you have to communicate with Microsoft's peer resolver (or you have to create your own); and p2p has issues with sleeping pcs; Kerboros, IPV6...  (I could go on for days about problems with p2p). 

Your best bet is to use the WCF NetTcpBinding for LANs or WsHttpBinding if you plan to have the chat sessions extend past the NAT on your router and go out into the 'real world'.

The best WCF chat example is in the Visual Studio 2010 Training Kit in the WhatsNewInWCF4 folder.  It uses Discovery to locate instances of the chat program and can run, unlike many WCF examples, on multiple computers.  There is no 'client' or 'server', just chat sessions.  Its very, very well written!

If you're not using VS2010, the program will still run if you don't include the Discovery part.  You can download the kit from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=752cb725-969b-4732-a383-ed5740f02e93&displaylang=en

Hope this helps,

Charles

• Proposed as answer by Lie You Friday, March 4, 2011 7:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lie You Wednesday, March 9, 2011 4:31 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:26 AM