Any way to (re)install a Win 7 video driver?

Question

• Hello,

I installed the Developer Preview on an Acer Aspire One to have a look at the interface.  I immediately noticed that none of the Metro apps would work.  I later found out that this was because the screen resolution was too low.  Since 1024 x 768 (the minimum required) was not available as a selection, I then found a program (a1ctl) that supposedly would enable this resolution in a "panning" mode.  After running this program, however, the display driver was changed to "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" with a resolution of 800 x 600.  That resolution cannot be changed: the selection combobox is disabled.  After trying many different registry changes without success, I concluded that the best way to resolve this would be to reinstall the Windows 7 video driver for the Aspire One.  I downloaded this, but it will not install - the setup program displays "This operating system version is not supported."

I'm pretty sure that the Win 7 driver for the Aspire One will indeed work with Win 8, as that is what was in play after the upgrade.  Is there any way to get Win 8 to "fake" the setup program, i.e. for it to appear as Win 7?  Or to manually install the driver?  Or....?

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:53 AM

Answers

• I have it working.  In case anyone else runs into this with this machine: the video driver for the Mobile Intel 945 chipset supplied by Acer (v. 6.blah) will not install on WDP...gets an error.

However if you obtain Win 7 drivers for this chipset from Intel (v. 8.blah) they will install and run correctly.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• 1024x600 Netbook Screen

Several people have reported that they can be run in you connect an external display that is 1024x768 or larger.

You can try this modification to allow higher resolutions:
    http://www.netbooklive.com/how-to-get-better-resolution-on-your-standard-10-inch-netbook-2772/

Try uninstalling a1ctl before installing the video drivers.

If the drivers don't install, try installing them in compatibility mode.

Troubleshoot Compatibility

This can help with some (but not all) programs/drivers:
    1) Uninstall the program if it's already installed. Then when you install/reinstall it instead of double clicking on the install file right click it and select "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    2) Then click "Try Recommended Settings" and in the next windows click "Start the Program" to install it.
    3) After it installs see if it works correctly. Please note - some programs may not be able to run in Windows 8.

Since Windows 8 has not been released yet not all drivers are going to work with it. Some drivers are very specific about the operating system version, so you might have to wait until they release Windows 8 drivers (if they make them for your model).

Some drivers might be available using Windows update.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:03 AM
  • That reg mod is one of the many I've already tried.  a1ctl doesn't really install itself, it's a standalone app.  I tried the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" but the video driver's Setup program just gets an "Unknown Error" then quits.  When I hook up an external monitor it gets the same resolution as the A-One's screen.  I guess I am out of luck.  That video driver that shows as "Other:" and has a fixed 800x600 resolution seems to have somehow wired itself into this system pretty tenaciously.  Wish I could find out how to rip it out.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:33 PM
  •  I tried the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" but the video driver's Setup program just gets an "Unknown Error" then quits. 

You may need to wait until they release a new driver for your video card.

That video driver that shows as "Other:" and has a fixed 800x600 resolution seems to have somehow wired itself into this system pretty tenaciously.  Wish I could find out how to rip it out. 

Have you tried uninstalling it?

Open Device Manager, in Display Adapter right click your card and click Uninstall to remove the driver.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I have it working.  In case anyone else runs into this with this machine: the video driver for the Mobile Intel 945 chipset supplied by Acer (v. 6.blah) will not install on WDP...gets an error.

However if you obtain Win 7 drivers for this chipset from Intel (v. 8.blah) they will install and run correctly.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:51 PM