Get the (anonymized) Live ID from (troll) ratings? RRS feed

• Question

• Exists there a way to retrieve the Live ID (the anonymized one of course) from marketplace ratings?

I guess it is a developer's right banning 1-star-troll-raters from using their FREE apps. Of course the 1-star-rating remains on the marketplace but such users should not be able to use the 1-star-troll-rated FREE apps.

When launching the app I would determine if the current user is a 1-star-troll-rater and displaying a message box with a message like: It seems that your dislike this app for some reason. Does it really make sense to use it?

One option could be just displaying the message and the other option will be displaying the message and terminating the app.

Such behavior should be only use if it is a FREE or TRIAL app of course.

Programming is a kind of art but not all programmers are artists.

Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• I am not aware of any way of getting the reviewer of your apps email address.  If there could be repercussions for bad ratings you would never get honest ratings of any app.
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 3:47 PM
  • While I don't think we should be able to alter App behavior depending on the user rating, I would like to see a system where users would be forced to comment why they don't like an App when giving 1-star ratings (so we devs get the possibility to fix the problem the user obviously has). There's no way to tell what to improve if we get 1-star ratings without any further comment.

Also I would like to be able to respond to a rating: the rating, the users comment and the devs reply would be visible in the store.

Example: A user complains about a missing feature. Maybe he just didn't find it. Now the dev could respond to this problem with an explanation where to find the feature.

In my case a user gave 3 stars and would have liked to see the app be translated to French. If it was available in French he would have given 4 or 5 stars. We did this in the meantime, now I'd like to add an answer to that rating that we've implemented this in version x.y.z

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:31 AM
  • I am not aware of any way of getting the reviewer of your apps email address.  If there could be repercussions for bad ratings you would never get honest ratings of any app.
    I am asking for the anonymized Live ID not the email address! If a user X rates an app like "nonsense, don't need it etc." it is also OK that this rating remains but in that case the user X should not be able to use the app at all.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:44 PM
  • I am asking for the anonymized Live ID not the email address! If a user X rates an FREE app like "nonsense, don't need it etc." it is also OK that this rating remains but in that case the user X should not be able to use the app at all.

Developers can add a legal URL and a email support address which should be used to contact the developer regarding to bug-fixes, feature requests etc. Ratings are (at the moment) only a "one-way-communication" and often good and FREE apps suffering from troll-ratings.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:47 PM