none
Microsoft Expression Web 4 and Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Does MEW4 free edition work with Windows 10? I ask because my website works well with Win7 as stated in "System requirements", but here Win10 is not mentioned. Microsoft might be helpful and do what it takes to add Win10 to that list to please all users of MEW4. My website with thousands of pages about Allied airmen in MEW4free with a MySQL datase must not get lost. Am I stuck with Win7 and cut off from Win10? Any alternative? Does MEW4 work with Win10 on your computer?
    Sunday, July 3, 2016 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I have myself installed the Microsoft Expression Web on Windows 10 and it's working fine,

It seems that the Expression web download page' system requirements are not updated, but there is no restriction to install it on Windows 10 as Windows 10 support all applications.

Here's another discussion related to the same topic that could help

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/expression/en-US/1970b283-c825-4047-b2ec-7f064378f794/anyone-tested-expression-web-4-with-windows-10?forum=web

Thanks, Mahmoud

Sunday, July 3, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Don't worry, EW4 works just fine with Win 10.  I have it running on 3 different Win 10 computers.  The last version of EW4 was released before Windows 10 existed, and development/support for EW was ended.  When there is no longer support for a program, don't be surprised if no one at Microsoft is assigned to test it in a new operating version and update the requirements page.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Sunday, July 3, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Thank you for a useful answer.
    Monday, July 4, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Thank you for assuring me that there is no problem! Case closed.
    Monday, July 4, 2016 8:57 AM
  • I have just installed Expression Web 4 on two Windows 10 computers. It seems to work fine except that the pre-packaged snippets are missing. Custom snippets are ok.

I would be interested to know if any other had noticed this issue and whether there is a workaround...

Sunday, June 4, 2017 2:51 AM
  • The pre-packaged snippets are there, for me.   I searched for where they are located, and it's in:

C:\Users\{my user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Expression\Web 4\mySnippets

In spite of the name, these are not custom snippets, but the built-in ones.

I don't know if this is where EW4 installs them or if they were carried over from a previous version of EW.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Interesting. When I installed Expression Studio 4 Premium (the version they gave us for beta testing) into my new Win10 laptop, the built-in snippets didn't get installed then either. Turned out that that installation didn't include SP2, which is when the new snippets panel was added to EW4. Prior to that I wouldn't imagine that all those neatly categorized and "foldered" built-in snippets would have been there. Jim. check "Help|About" and see if you have SP2. If not, download and install it and that should resolve your issue.

Kathy, was your EW installation already there when you upgraded to Win10, or did you do a new install into a machine with an existing Win10 installation? If so, did you install the free version (which included SP2a), which would have included the snippets already?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 5, 2017 4:23 AM
  • No doubt that I was happy to see your very useful answer. MEW4 works very well with Win 10 on my computer.
    Monday, June 5, 2017 9:39 AM
  • Scott, I don't remember what the flow was for all my computers. But I think that my Surface was new enough that it got EW4 as its first install, already at Win 10. Probably the free and final version. But, I can't be sure.   On the other hand, I am assuming anyone who just installed EW4 is using the last version with all the fixes, not an earlier one.  (Or, they should be, anyway.)

Kathleen Wilber

• Edited by KathyW2 Monday, June 5, 2017 4:10 PM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Well, I'll be straight up honest that the reason I didn't install that free version is plain, pure, paranoia. Having had a machine on which EW stopped working, and no reinstall or .NET rebuild accomplished a rebirth, I'm hoping (perhaps forlornly ;-) that if my commercial version bites the dust I'll be able to try a .NET rebuild and install of the final free version. If not, well there's always the virtual machine route...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 5, 2017 6:34 PM
  • I have the free version installed on 3 win 10 computers.  No issues whatsoever.  (Pending the newest Win 10 update of course!)

Kathleen Wilber

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:14 PM
  • I would agree that a clean install of Windows 10 and a clean install of Expression Web 4 would appear to work well. Twice in the past 4 years EW4 had a problem with browsing to files to create hyperlinks, but both times the problem was fixed in Win10 in about 3 or 4 months.  The workaround was to just to type the full file name and path in manually.  

In the mean time I have only been using Code view to create HTML5 and it creates clean, easy to read code and in most cases is a faster way to create new  photo galleries, which is where the most work happens.  Starting with a template, photo paths can be updated in one step by using Replace and then typing in new file names (for each photo) just takes a few minutes.

Unfortunately, this week when I ran some Reports, EW4 reported over 8,000 unlinked files.  When I checked several of the photo galleries, they worked just fine; all photos present and working.  I have 5 computers and two users for daily use and 5 computers that do nothing but install Win10 updates with different combinations of  popular mainstream applications, but no email and no browsing the Internet, except for Microsoft's website.  I'm in the process of installing EW4 to publish the server files to a clean Win10 and then create some new web pages to see if the problem can be reproduced. Older photo galleries are about 1/2 htm files and 1/2 php files, since I started using an include for the nav bar and stopped using DWT.

Otherwise, I have no idea yet what is wrong or how long the problem has been there.  I went to Site>Publishing and started looking for differences between files in a number of large folders on the server and client.  I found a number (a dozen or two, not thousands)  of discrepancies, such as files unmatched, changed files, etc.  I corrected the discrepancies, but then found more after several days of use.

I'd suggest that if someone runs Reports and then compares some folders on server and client with lots of files and finds no discrepancies, then they should have no problems.  Any comments or suggestions?

Saturday, April 13, 2019 7:57 AM
  • The obvious question is, what were the unlinked files, and were they, in fact, unlinked?

Kathleen Wilber

Monday, April 15, 2019 6:31 AM