Reset the Administrator Password and Unlock using Powershell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I created a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 and using it for last two months after installed all nessasary software. Today for some reason, I reset the administrator password (and forgot to check the Unlock user account check box).

After reset the password and logoff from the machine, now I could not able to login to the VM again. The password is accepted and shown th RDP window. But, It shows "The user name and password is incorrect", when I try to login again it is not login.

I believe the user account is locked. Could anyone pls let me know how to unlock the administrator account or reset the password from outside of the server. Otherwise, is it possible to create a new user account and set the RDP permission.

Many Thanks, Thirumalai M

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:28 PM

Answers

• Hello Thirumalai,

If I understood you correctly you are having trouble to log in using the only account you have with administrative priviledges for the system. This administrative account is a local account and the computer is not a member of an Active Directory domain.

If you are receiving a message saying the password is incorrect, there is nothing that can be done except confirm the correct password is being used.

If you are getting a message saying your account is locked, this means account lockout policy has been configured. The duration of the lock is determine by the user and can be infinite.
    Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994569(v=ws.10).aspx

If all administrative passowrds have been lost or if they are all locked out forever, as a last resort you have the option to download the VHD from azure, mount it to a computer using "Disk Management" and recover your data directly from the file system.
    reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851645.aspx

Please let me know if I understood your request correctly.

My best regards.

Flavio Muratore Sr. Support Escalation Engineer Windows Azure Technical Support

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Thirumalai,

If I understood you correctly you are having trouble to log in using the only account you have with administrative priviledges for the system. This administrative account is a local account and the computer is not a member of an Active Directory domain.

If you are receiving a message saying the password is incorrect, there is nothing that can be done except confirm the correct password is being used.

If you are getting a message saying your account is locked, this means account lockout policy has been configured. The duration of the lock is determine by the user and can be infinite.
    Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994569(v=ws.10).aspx

If all administrative passowrds have been lost or if they are all locked out forever, as a last resort you have the option to download the VHD from azure, mount it to a computer using "Disk Management" and recover your data directly from the file system.
    reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851645.aspx

Please let me know if I understood your request correctly.

My best regards.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:52 PM
  • Hi Flavio,

Thanks for your response. The issue is with the server where the AD DS installed and that is only the machine in the network. I dont create any other user except administrator.

Last time, I reset the password using Active Directory Users & Computer console and logged off. Now I am unable to login with administrator credentials. I hope the administrator account might have locked.

I will try the last option you mentioed, taking the VHD and mounting as disk management to get the data.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:10 PM