Windows.UI.Xaml.Style Namespace Contents

Question

• Hello,

I am a new developer to WPF. I'm using Visual Studio 11 Beta and Blend for Visual Studio Beta for development. I'm interested in styling WPF controls (ComboBox, at the moment) as close as possible to their Metro-style equivalent. I know that I cannot access the controls directly because WinRT components are only available in Metro-style apps.

To this end, I created a Metro-style app in VS11 and placed a ComboBox in it. I then opened it in Blend, opened the context menu and chose "Edit Template -> Edit a Copy..." (hopefully to find some implementation details to port over to WPF). I examined its contents in the Properties pane and found under the Miscellaneous tab a label called Style, which indicated that this ComboBox was drawing its styling from a Windows.UI.Xaml.Style namespace. A quick check on MSDN made no reference to this namespace. I am guessing that is where such resources as InputControlTextBrush, ComboBoxNormalBackgroundBrush, etc. are found. I can find no other reference to these resources anywhere online or in my solution. Can you provide any documentation for Windows.UI.Xaml.Style? If not, can you provide me further direction on how to find the location of these Metro-style brush resources?

Thanks,

Sam

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:53 PM

Answers

• these are system defined brushes. You can set the brush to one element and convert it to new resource to get the definition.

To get a whole list of system brushes, you can open the brush editor in properties panel, go to brush resources tab.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:51 PM