how to know which plugin needs which permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• User176749 posted

is there in general a way to know which plugin needs which permissions using the source code? I have in my manifest these 2 permissions and i added them in 2016 :) now I am not confident to remove that as i am not sure if they are required by any of the plugin i am using.

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />
        <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION" />

I need to remove those because some Amazon Fire devices doesnt support and amazon filters out my app for those devices. I am thinking back in the days xamarin insighst needed or hockeyapp. now i am on app center and it doesnt seem to require it. I dont use any MAPs package. does anybody know any other package needs this ?

Sunday, July 29, 2018 11:55 PM

Answers

• User42522 posted

@batmaci This is what the Google documentation says about these permissions.

Location permissions If your app needs to access the user's location, you must request permission by adding the relevant Android location permission to your app.

Android offers two location permissions: ACCESSCOARSELOCATION and ACCESSFINELOCATION. The permission you choose determines the accuracy of the location returned by the API. You only need to request one of the Android location permissions, depending on the level of accuracy you need:

android.permission.ACCESSCOARSELOCATION – Allows the API to use WiFi or mobile cell data (or both) to determine the device's location. The API returns the location with an accuracy approximately equivalent to a city block. android.permission.ACCESSFINELOCATION – Allows the API to determine as precise a location as possible from the available location providers, including the Global Positioning System (GPS) as well as WiFi and mobile cell data.

So if you are not using Maps SDK, then you can safely remove these from your app.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 2:29 PM

All replies

• User42522 posted

@batmaci This is what the Google documentation says about these permissions.

Location permissions If your app needs to access the user's location, you must request permission by adding the relevant Android location permission to your app.

Android offers two location permissions: ACCESSCOARSELOCATION and ACCESSFINELOCATION. The permission you choose determines the accuracy of the location returned by the API. You only need to request one of the Android location permissions, depending on the level of accuracy you need:

android.permission.ACCESSCOARSELOCATION – Allows the API to use WiFi or mobile cell data (or both) to determine the device's location. The API returns the location with an accuracy approximately equivalent to a city block. android.permission.ACCESSFINELOCATION – Allows the API to determine as precise a location as possible from the available location providers, including the Global Positioning System (GPS) as well as WiFi and mobile cell data.

So if you are not using Maps SDK, then you can safely remove these from your app.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2018 2:29 PM
  • User176749 posted

@ShantimohanElchuri i believe that you are right. i was checking each and every plugin i was using. I remember that i had a try on some sensors in the past and it might be remained from gyroscope sensor which uses location permissions as well. I just had a doubt about app.center as they also log users location but i think that they do this by reading Ip addresses of user

Monday, July 30, 2018 11:28 PM