tweaks for WDP

General discussion

• Funny story. I was on Vishal Gupta's website earlier and happened to notice he had a category for windows 8, so I clicked on it. I found there a tweaker utility for changing the background in the Metro screen and enabling the old-style start menu on the legacy desktop. I thought that sounded cool, so I downloaded it and tried it out. First, the background change didn't work, probably because Microsoft has put out an update to block it. The old-style start menu was enabled, but there was no way to get back to the Metro screen. Plus the Metro clock wouldn't go away. There was also a message from Microsoft above the watermark on the desktop that said if I work for Microsoft, I was fired, and I was under arrest. (Not those words exactly.) Even though I don't work for Microsoft, I still felt like I had just robbed a bank or something. I promptly put it back like it was before and restarted. I gave a tremendous sigh of relief when I saw the message from Microsoft was gone.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:36 AM

All replies

• Interesting story, note that Windows 8 is now in pre-Beta and you would get more option to modify setting and do more changes in future beta and you would have more ability for customization in future release. Installing software to help you to modify those setting is NOT recommended, the software might contain Malware or do some modification that harm your system.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 4:24 AM
  • You're right about that. Gupta is someone I trust from past experience, when I used to download and create modified visual styles for windows xp. I never got into doing that with vista or 7. I'm sure it's more complicated for one thing, but mainly I just haven't gotten bored with the Aero desktop environment.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:12 AM