none
Why does VS2015 Community leave so many processes running after shut down?

Question

• I am currently using VS2015 Community and have noticed that my machine is always slow after I have been using it. I closed it down about 5 minutes before writing this and when I checked the processes tab in Task Manager, there are still nine processes running using just under 450MB of memory.

Why isn't VS doing an immediate cleanup of all running processes? I don't remember having this kind of problem with earlier versions. I have attached an image of my process list which includes (as you can see) absolutely nothing running in the Applications > Task list.

Just before I am about to submit this, conhost.exe is still running, along with MSBuild.exe.. so things are clearing, but why does it take so long to finish?

Just as a side note, while it is running, I have five instances of conhost.exe running... what are they for?

Worms Forts 10/10, MotoGP3 10/10, Worms 10/10, Rogue Trooper 10/10 - Thank you Total Mobile :D

Saturday, April 30, 2016 12:33 AM

Answers

• Just to add one final entry that really is an answer.

I followed some instructions on that StackOverflow page, namely to rename the VsHub folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VsHub" to _VsHub. Create a text document called VsHub.txt on your desktop, remove the .txt from the end and then drag that file into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\" folder, thus preventing any further creation of a VsHub folder.

The end result of that? After three minutes of exiting VS, this is my task manager. And it isn't much worse than that while VS is actually running. No more vshub.exe, Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost.EXE *32 or Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost64.EXE... at all, even when it is running.

This results in a far better, more responsive IDE that actually allows me to do what I should be doing, instead of trying to chase problems. From my perspective, this is a problem solved thanks to the experts on StackOverflow.

Worms Forts 10/10, MotoGP3 10/10, Worms 10/10, Rogue Trooper 10/10 - Thank you Total Mobile :D

• Marked as answer by LeeC22 Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

Thanks for your post.

I did a test in my side and it works well for me. I create a app then build it. When i open the task manager i can find the MSBuild.exe. After I close the Visual Studio. The MSBuild.exe was cleaned up immedeitly.

As far as I know. Generally it will not have this problem. But sometimes some other programs call the same servce, so it may cause this problem you described.

Please restart your machine and check the task manager. Then reopen the visual studio, peform some actions then close it. Check the task manager again, I think it will clean up of all running processes related to the VS.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, May 02, 2016 6:42 AM
  • If you have time, or are really bored, please watch this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LFvItVrwd0ejJzd2pWRlZYek0/view?usp=sharing

This is a recording of my desktop for twelve minutes after a fresh boot, with Visual Studio running on two occasions. Here is a breakdown of the key times in the video. Please note, the clock is shown on screen for the full duration so that you can see I am not editing the video.

You will note that on the second running, certain processes have increased in size (and some in number)... consider the effect of this after several instances of running the programme, not just two. You can see the cumulative effects in the first screenshot I posted.

Also note that this is on a system that had a complete reinstall of the OS just a week or so ago.

00:08 - Visual Studio run for the first time after a fresh boot
    00:51 - Visual Studio shut down for the first time, task manager shows conhost.exe x 2, Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost.EXE *32 (90,340K), Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost64.exe (86,844K) and VsHub.exe all still running.
    01:57 - Visual Studio run for the second time with my currently being developed programme
    02:24 - Visual Studio shut down for the second time, task manager now shows conhost.exe x 3, Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost.EXE *32 (92,692K), Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost64.exe (126,064K), MSBuild.exe and VsHub.exe all still running.
    07:01 - Second instance of VsHub.exe suddenly appears, then disappears shortly after.
    07:20 - One instance of conhost.exe and Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost64.exe disappears.

There is no further change before the video ends at 12 minutes. This is probably the most boring video you will ever watch and it wasn't much fun to make... but I thought it was important to show exactly what happens in real time.

Monday, May 02, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Hi Lee,

Thanks for providing the detailed information. And I have aslo watched the video you uploaded.  The behavior is so strange. Now I can't explain why it is. I suggest you could submit a feedback to the Visual Studio Development team. I think they can explain that.

http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them.

Also please share link here. I will help to vote it.  

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:01 AM
  • I have submitted a ticket here: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2660842 and mentioned this thread as the source of reference material, i.e. screenshots and video.

• Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by LeeC22 Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:21 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:41 AM
  • It seems I am not alone with this problem: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31452435/how-do-i-disable-vshub-exe-in-the-system-tray?lq=1

That is from six months ago, yet here I am reporting the exact same issue. I have just highlighted that page on the connect submission, along with a statement to the effect of "It seems like Microsoft is now more interested in collecting data than providing developers with tools for the job".

I remember when Visual Studio used to be great, now it's just a bloated telemetry service that chews up more memory than the programmes you're writing. So now I'm going to have to waste time closing the various loopholes Microsoft have opened to report my activities back to themselves, instead of actually writing the code I am meant to be writing.

As I also said on that Connect submission, I am starting to understand why the Windows store is unable to get developers on board. Where once we were being encouraged, not being monitored seems to be the prime focus.

Oh, and I have unproposed my comment as an answer, because like my other issue, reporting bugs is not an answer... fixing them is. That's something that developers would know.

I will keep this on watch, just in case it gets erroneously marked again.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Just to add one final entry that really is an answer.

I followed some instructions on that StackOverflow page, namely to rename the VsHub folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VsHub" to _VsHub. Create a text document called VsHub.txt on your desktop, remove the .txt from the end and then drag that file into the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\" folder, thus preventing any further creation of a VsHub folder.

The end result of that? After three minutes of exiting VS, this is my task manager. And it isn't much worse than that while VS is actually running. No more vshub.exe, Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost.EXE *32 or Microsoft.VsHub.Server.HttpHost64.EXE... at all, even when it is running.

This results in a far better, more responsive IDE that actually allows me to do what I should be doing, instead of trying to chase problems. From my perspective, this is a problem solved thanks to the experts on StackOverflow.

• Marked as answer by LeeC22 Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:47 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:46 PM