Will SharePoint 365 supports Power View sourced from SSAS Tabular Model? RRS feed

• Question

• What I understand is SharePoint 365 enterprise edition supports Power View that is sourced by PowerPivot Excel data source. Does it support SSAS Tabular Model as the data source as well, like the on-premises version?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi WII,

The short answer is Yes. When you create an Excel 2013 workbook with Power View sheets, you can save it to SharePoint Server 2013 on-premises, or save it to SharePoint Online in Office 365. Power View in Excel 2013 can consume embedded PowerPivot tabular models or external SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular Model data sources.

References:

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by WII Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:28 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2013 2:29 AM
  • Thank you Mike. Sorry, my question wasn't quite clear, but I get what you mean. And the links are very useful. Cheers.
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:28 AM
  • Hi Mike Yin,

Recently I create a Power View from Excel 2013 which connecting to local server SQL Tabular Mode as the data source. Then I upload the excel file into SharePoint Online (office365). But When I try to open the excel from SharePoint, the Power View worksheet cannot display any data/chart,

when I try to "Refresh Selection Connection", a warning message pop up : "The current selection is not within a refreasable region of the workbook. Select a refreshable region, such as a PivotTable, before clicking on the Refresh Selected Connection button." 

Then I try to click "Refresh All Connection", another warning message pop up : "This workbook contains external data connection or BI features that are not supported"

The question : Does SharePoint online support to render/open Power View Excel 2013 which connected to Tabular  mode ? Or it just work on SharePoint On Premises 2013 ? What about PowerBI on Office 365 ?

Please advise

Thanks

Octoni

Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:34 AM
  • I think Power View reports with SSAS tabular as source is not supported on Office 365.

Thanks,

Sagar K 

(Blog: http://datamazik.blogspot.in/)

Thursday, August 21, 2014 5:29 AM