Crescent- features and bugs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're using Project Crescent with a client who is willing to accept the pre-release nature of the product in exchange for its exciting new functionality. I'm aware that you are not able to tell us which features to expect in RTM, but I thought MS might appreciate our feedback on the CTP3 version of the tool. I have not logged any of these items in 'Connect' as of yet- to be honest I'd rather not do so if they are already being worked on! It would be useful for MS to subtly hint which of these should be raised in Connect.

Bugs:

• When there are a large number of connected graphs (e.g 6, sometimes not all the graphs reflect selection from the user. This is intermittent but seems to happen when we're demoing it :-)
    • Choosing a measure that has text values for a bubble plot axis causes an error to occur.
    • When dealing with mulple actions, sometimes the server times out. The report doesn't deal with it gracefully, and both IE and the server itself crash.
    • When loading a crescent report with data labels as percentages, the initial load will show decimal numbers (e.g. 0.025) rather than percentages (2.5%). After playing with the slicers, the data labels are shown as percentages.

Features (It would be useful if...)

• The user could define scales for the axes and bubble sizes rather than always auto scaling. For instance, we wanted our bubbles to get bigger as a step change if something happened, and we'd change the measure in the cube to do this. But when we do, the auto scaling made it so that big bubble was normal size and the rest were tiny...
    • Ability to have distinct values on the x-axis rather than a continuous scale only
    • Ability to change colour of bubbles on a bubble plot
    • Ability to change colour of bubbles on a bubble plot dynamically, i.e. as a result of a measure or KPI's value.
    • Hyperlinks
    • Hierarchy support from cubes
    • Support for KPIs, with conditional formatting connected to the KPIs, e.g. threshold lines, etc
    • Multiple series type in one graph, e.g. line and bars in one chart
    • Ability to toggle data value presence on a chart- e.g. if the graph is full screen, show the numbers for each value but hide otherwise as they'd be too small to read anyway.
    • Clickable line charts
    • More options when dealing with images, e.g. alignment in slicers, adding them into textboxes, allowing them to be hyperlinks
    • Allow a crescent report to be opened with parameters to control default slicers etc *
    • Trendlines

* This ability would also be good to have in PowerPivot too and would enable a kind of drilldown that so far missing with these tools. If a user could click a link in one report which passes parameters to slicers on another report, we have drilldown.

Regards,

Rich

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:50 AM

All replies

• I forgot one other feature:

- Ability to change speed of the play axis. It seems to vary as per browser speed, but also on the number of datapoints. I love the play axis, but if we could slow it down, it would be lovely.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Thank you for the detailed feedback, bugs and suggestions!  It won't be too long before we can disclose some of the work we are doing for post CTP3.  

Hi,

• We're using Project Crescent with a client who is willing to accept the pre-release nature of the product in exchange for its exciting new functionality. I'm aware that you are not able to tell us which features to expect in RTM, but I thought MS might appreciate our feedback on the CTP3 version of the tool. I have not logged any of these items in 'Connect' as of yet- to be honest I'd rather not do so if they are already being worked on! It would be useful for MS to subtly hint which of these should be raised in Connect.

Bugs:

• When there are a large number of connected graphs (e.g 6, sometimes not all the graphs reflect selection from the user. This is intermittent but seems to happen when we're demoing it :-)
    [Sean] - This seems like a bug and it would be good to get a repro on our sample datasets that we have available for download.  I would file this on Connect if you can such a repro.  Personally, I have not seen this issue.
    • Choosing a measure that has text values for a bubble plot axis causes an error to occur.

[Sean] We shouldn't be allowing text values as measures.  I'll check to see if this repros in current builds.   There may be some changes coming here post CTP3.

• When dealing with mulple actions, sometimes the server times out. The report doesn't deal with it gracefully, and both IE and the server itself crash.

[Sean] - We would need a repro of this.  

• When loading a crescent report with data labels as percentages, the initial load will show decimal numbers (e.g. 0.025) rather than percentages (2.5%). After playing with the slicers, the data labels are shown as percentages.

[Sean] - I believe this issue is resolved by now.

Features (It would be useful if...)

• The user could define scales for the axes and bubble sizes rather than always auto scaling. For instance, we wanted our bubbles to get bigger as a step change if something happened, and we'd change the measure in the cube to do this. But when we do, the auto scaling made it so that big bubble was normal size and the rest were tiny..
    [Sean].  - Yes, we understand.  Please do log on Connect or vote for an existing item.
    • Ability to have distinct values on the x-axis rather than a continuous scale only

[Sean] - I assume this is in relation to integer or datetime type of data.  Yes, no need to file a Connect issue on that is one :)

• Ability to change colour of bubbles on a bubble plot

[Sean]  - Please log a Connect issue for this, and please do be very specific about the scenario.  There may be some changes coming in this area post CTP3, but I'm not sure if it addresses your exact scenario.

• Ability to change colour of bubbles on a bubble plot dynamically, i.e. as a result of a measure or KPI's value.

[Sean] Please log a suggestion in Connect.

• Hyperlink
    [Sean] Please log a suggestion in Connect.
    • Hierarchy support from cubes

[Sean] Will not be in V1.  Please log a suggestion in Connect.  Yes, this is definitely on our radar.

• Support for KPIs, with conditional formatting connected to the KPIs, e.g. threshold lines, etc
    [Sean] Will not be in V1.  Please log a suggestion in Connect.  Yes, this is definitely on our radar.
    • Multiple series type in one graph, e.g. line and bars in one chart

• Ability to toggle data value presence on a chart- e.g. if the graph is full screen, show the numbers for each value but hide otherwise as they'd be too small to read anyway.

[Sean]  Please file the issue on Connect

• Clickable line charts

[Sean].  Please file an issue on Connect.

• More options when dealing with images, e.g. alignment in slicers, adding them into textboxes, allowing them to be hyperlinks

[Sean]  Please file a suggestion in Connect.

• Allow a crescent report to be opened with parameters to control default slicers etc *

[Sean]  There may be some changes here that will meet your needs post CTP3, but please do file an issue in Connect with very specific scenarios so we can determine if what will be there will meet your needs.

• Trendlines

[Sean]  won't be in V1.  Please log a suggestion in Connect.

* This ability would also be good to have in PowerPivot too and would enable a kind of drilldown that so far missing with these tools. If a user could click a link in one report which passes parameters to slicers on another report, we have drilldown.

Regards,

Rich

Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.msdn.com/seanboon http://www.twitter.com/ssrs
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:42 PM
  • I'm in New Zealand & my region's set as such however BIDS doesn't like this. I've found 2 things

1. When selecting dates in the report previewer, clicking on the calendar brings up a date in the format dd/MM/yyyy however said date gets passed to the database as MM/dd/yyyy without alteration & gives out of range errors.
    2. Measurement units in the properties pane change between centimeters & inches depending on context, if I'm looking at the main design space it's as per local settings, objects therein are shown in inches.

Cheers

Arthur

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:02 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for the replies! Everyone we have demoed our visualisations to, without exception, have been impressed by Project Crescent, and it is good to have a flavour for what will and won't be in v1.

Keep up the good work!

Rich

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:59 AM