Azure file sync not syncing change from cloud to local even after 24 hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been doing a trial with Azure file sync and everything seems to be working except the cloud sync back to local.  The documentation says it can take up to 24 hours or maybe a little longer, but it's been 24 hours and still the changes aren't reflected locally.  Changes I make locally propagate to the cloud rather quickly in less than 30 seconds.  On the cloud side have just moved some files out of a PDF folder to the root level and also changed a file name of one file.  Neither of those changes appear locally.  What can I do to get this to work?

Thursday, August 2, 2018 10:05 PM

All replies

• Changes made to the Azure file share by using the Azure portal or SMB are not immediately detected and replicated like changes to the server endpoint. Azure Files does not yet have change notifications or journaling, so there's no way to automatically initiate a sync session when files are changed. On Windows Server, Azure File Sync uses Windows USN journaling to automatically initiate a sync session when files change.

To detect changes to the Azure file share, Azure File Sync has a scheduled job called a change detection job. A change detection job enumerates every file in the file share, and then compares it to the sync version for that file. When the change detection job determines that files have changed, Azure File Sync initiates a sync session. The change detection job is initiated every 24 hours. Because the change detection job works by enumerating every file in the Azure file share, change detection takes longer in larger namespaces than in smaller namespaces. For large namespaces, it might take longer than once every 24 hours to determine which files have changed.

Note:changes made to an Azure file share using REST does not update the SMB last modified time and will not be seen as a change by sync.

It might be a transient issue, could you wait for some time and Let us know if the issue persists.

• Proposed as answer by VeeraGiri Babu Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:42 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2018 5:11 AM
  • Checking in to see if the above answer helped. Let me know if there are still any additional issues I can help with
    Saturday, August 4, 2018 11:42 AM