none
VS Express 2013 for Win Desktop / Win 7 Prof 64-bit / Access 2013 32-bit RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought a new computer with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I installed Microsoft Office (32-bit) along with Microsoft Access (32-bit). After installing VS Express 2013, I tried to recreate a program from my old computer. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I imported to Access and linked them.

When I try to access the database from VS, it keeps giving me the error of 'Unrecognized database format'. I've changed the Platforms from 'Any CPU' to 'x64' to 'x86' along with trying each in 'Debug' and 'Release'. I rebuild the solution on every change and it still gives me the same error. But yet I can take the same files and put them on my older computer (running Win 7 64-bit Home) and it works.

One thing I did notice different is that the new computer is looking for Jet 4.0 and the old computer is looking for Jet 12.0. Is there something I am missing?

Steps I am taking to link to the database...

1) Import from Excel sheet into Access

2) Open VS Express and create a new Windows Form Application

3) Add New Data Source from the Data Source Window

4) Select Database (Next) Dataset (Next)

5) When I click 'New Connection...', I select 'Microsoft Access Database File' and the drop down box shows '.NET Framework Data Provider for OLE DB'. Click OK, browse for my database and click open.

When I try to Test the Connection or Click 'OK', it throws the error. I've done the same thing many times with the older computer and it works fine.

Any thoughts? Am I missing a download of something? Thanks

Edit: My apologies...I thought it was 64 bit versions I installed. They are in fact 32 bit versions, but the problem still remains.

Don't fix what ain't broken...just tweak it a little

• Edited by Jared 1980 Sunday, March 8, 2015 7:57 AM
    • Moved by Kristin Xie Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:18 AM move from C# forum
    Sunday, March 8, 2015 7:21 AM

All replies

• Sunday, March 8, 2015 10:20 AM
  • My apologies...I had originally clicked on C# (out of habit) but realized it was a VS. Before I submitted the question, I had clicked on the VS item. Not sure why it still put me in the C# forum.

Don't fix what ain't broken...just tweak it a little

Sunday, March 8, 2015 4:59 PM
  • Hi Jared,

I would suggest that repost a new thread on

Visual Studio Development      >     Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum.

Have a nice day!

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:16 AM
    Monday, March 9, 2015 9:45 AM
  • Hi Jared,

Since the time is too long, I will move your thread to "off-topic" forum, If you have any other thread about C#.  Please feel free to post it in this forum . Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:18 AM