none
Streaming videos with Sharepoint on premise

Question

• Apparently there is an issue with users viewing large videos and I am looking for a solution. Does Windows 16 over any streaming capability for on premise SharePoint? This is not exactly my area of expertise so any advice would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of blogs out there but nothing I can understand. Basically just looking for a yes or no at this point and maybe a blog on how to set it up.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:37 PM

All replies

• The first issue you may need to be concerned is video file size. By default file upload size is 250 MB but by modifying it may be increased to 2 GB. Another issue on database server you need enough disk room to accommodate these files. Hope this helps 
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Use Microsoft Stream instead of SharePoint for video delivery. It is a significantly better service to store/stream videos from.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:33 PM
  • I thought this is for on-prem not cloud. 
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:00 PM
  • You can link to a Stream video from anywhere.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:07 PM
  • Yeah, but the option is Iframe for on-prem which has a big security hole. I recall using media server as alternative. Or directly to SharePoint and tweaking BLOB per this article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/administration/video-content-management-capacity-and-performance 

Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:16 PM
  • IFrames are not security holes.

Neither of the options you present are anywhere near as good as MSFT Stream (or Azure Media Services, which is what backs Stream). Stream obviously requires a license where as you can use BLOB cache without extending licensing, but none the less it is much better quality on many levels.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, December 6, 2018 11:29 PM
  • Thanks for the input. I don't know if a license and cloud service are in our immediate future. That said, back to my original post. If I just wanted some kind of stream service internally, can it be done with Windows 2016 and are there any blogs on how to set it up?
    Friday, December 7, 2018 12:37 PM
  • This would be a good place to get started with IIS Media Services: https://www.iis.net/media

Trevor Seward

Friday, December 7, 2018 4:10 PM
  • "Iframe has no security hole???", this really surprised me :) Anyhow, Shadowtuck, the only downside of using SharePoint is performance other than that doesn't require license, subscription or extra server. If your company ranges from small to medium then explore this option otherwise look into further options.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Thanks. So, it is doable on Windows 2016. Documentation is hard to come by. Can you reference any material that will help? Personally, I think we should just be linking to YouTube, but that's me.
    Friday, December 7, 2018 5:40 PM
  • Yes, and this isn't about Windows 2016 or any OS. We're discussing here how to accommodate in SharePoint 2013 or any on-prem version you may have. That being said, here's what you need to know about library usage and media web part:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/upload-video-audio-or-pictures-to-an-asset-library-74b1fcef-09b9-44a9-857c-9c55f9aa2445

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-video-or-audio-to-a-page-e5eff318-cd9d-4d77-bd79-1c282db23b46

Friday, December 7, 2018 5:50 PM
  • We had the same issues streaming  large videos finally ended up pushing them to YouTube. but we didn't consider Streaming at that time as it was a very early stage of Streaming.

Hope this helps.

THuyavan

Saturday, December 8, 2018 1:56 PM