OpenCV on ARM

Question

• Hi,

I'm creating a Metro style app that uses OpenCV in a C++ Windows Runtime Component. I've been able to compile the library in Visual Studio 2012 RC and import the DLLs on the x86 platform, and the app is able to consume the library. But I can't get the library to compile with the ARM platform selected. I get the "error MSB8022: Compiling Desktop applications for the ARM platform is not supported." Well the OpenCV is not an application, it's a library and it's been compiled for ARM on the andriod platform, so it is possible to use it on ARM.

Any ideas on how to get it running on ARM?

Is it even possible? I need to know I can use OpenCV before I go further. I'm sure others will want to use that library, it is a popular one.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• From the error it sounds like you have a desktop project, which isn't supported for ARM.

You'll need to make sure you build the library as a "DLL (Windows Store apps)" project.

Beyond that, if you can get this to build and run correctly for an x86 app without dependencies on desktop API then you should be able to do the same for ARM. If it relies on desktop only API then it shouldn't run in either platform.

You probably need to ask any questions specific to OpenCV on an OpenCV forum.

--Rob

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:21 AM
    Owner
  • I have been able to compile OpenCV and also remove any dependencies on non-MSDK API.  But I tried this only for x86.

The OpenCV build system generates VS projects which don't have the correct macros, settings etc. that are required to build Windows 8 apps/libraries/components.  I guess some hand-authoring would be required for these projects.  That is going to be what I try next.

Raman Sharma | Program Manager, Visual C++ | @rasharm_msft

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Can you share a little more information (on OpenCV case) what are appropriate steps to prepare library to be used as WinRT SDK.

Thanks,

cleme

Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Would love to know if you made any progress!
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 2:53 AM
  • See this video:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NorthAmerica/2012/DEV322

(if my post has answered your question, please consider using the 'mark as answer' feature in the forums to help others)

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Hi Raman,

Have you been successful with OpenCV on ARM? I know you said you got it to work on x86. I did see your video a while ago. Can you post the source code?

Thank you,

Andrew

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 4:33 AM
  • Not yet.  I posted at this stackoverflow link about the steps for x86 and the blockers for ARM.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:41 AM