Developing apps for all windows desktop OS's

Question

• I want to develop an app in VS 2012 for windows 8 (windows store apps), 
    but i have some questions and doubts that needs to be put to rest by your advice
    1. Any app created in this IDE will it work on windows xp, vista and above?
    2. If yes, what is the work around it for it to work on all windows platform?
    3. If no, should i use win forms to develop the app i.e VS 2012 for windows desktop?
    4. if i use VS 2012 for windows desktop (winforms) will be deployable on windows 8-8.1?

Thank you in advance and reply soon

Jayjay john

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:38 PM

Answers

• Windows Store Apps are only supported in Windows 8 and later (depending on what OS you target - Windows Store Apps can be targeted to 8.0 or 8.1 and likely 10 soon). They won't be able to work on Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. There is no workaround - users need at least Windows 8.

You could use Win Forms or WPF in order to develop Desktop Applications. Desktop Applications are still supported on Windows 8 and later. They don't however support Windows RT tablets, Windows Phones or the Xbox One.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Windows Store apps were new for Windows 8. They do not run on older OSes.

To write an app which runs on earlier OSes you'll need to write a desktop app. Desktop apps in general will run on the OS they were designed for and any newer OSes.

For help with desktop apps please post in the desktop development forums. For help with WinForms please post in the WinForms forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:25 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Windows Store Apps are only supported in Windows 8 and later (depending on what OS you target - Windows Store Apps can be targeted to 8.0 or 8.1 and likely 10 soon). They won't be able to work on Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. There is no workaround - users need at least Windows 8.

You could use Win Forms or WPF in order to develop Desktop Applications. Desktop Applications are still supported on Windows 8 and later. They don't however support Windows RT tablets, Windows Phones or the Xbox One.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Windows Store apps were new for Windows 8. They do not run on older OSes.

To write an app which runs on earlier OSes you'll need to write a desktop app. Desktop apps in general will run on the OS they were designed for and any newer OSes.

For help with desktop apps please post in the desktop development forums. For help with WinForms please post in the WinForms forums.

--Rob

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:25 PM
    Owner