Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am a student at CalPoly and am taking my first C++ class. I have not worked with visual studio before and this is my first time. I was able to install it successfully, but now am having problems running my code. If someone can walk me through the settings and how to actually get my program running i'd appriciate it.

So i'm able to open the program and then click on "New Project", then under "Visual C++" and the "General"tab, I'm able to give my code a name. Then I was instructed to go to the "Project" tab and then click on "Add New Item". But the problem is the under my project tab none of those options are coming up. So i think there is something wrong with my settings.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:38 PM

Answers

• I think there might be a misunderstanding. After you have given your project a name, you should hit OK and the bones of your project will be created.

Then you go to the Project menu item at the top of the screen (not a tab) to find the "Add New Item" option. If it still doesn't work, make sure that you have the project selected in the Solution Explorer or Class View.

It should look something like this...

In this example, the project is called "Batchcut" and you can tell it's selected by the blue highlight. Note that in many configurations the Solution Explorer is located on the right of screen, not the left as shown here.

You can also right click on the project in Solution Explorer or Class View to get the same menu.

• Edited by Ante Meridian Friday, October 14, 2011 2:16 AM Forgot the bit about right clicking.
    • Marked as answer by Rob Pan Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:57 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:14 AM