none
Another SmallBasic project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just tried to find these pages in Google (I forgot to bookmark them) and I noticed that there exists an open source project called SmallBasic which seems to be around quite a bit longer than this one. On their project pages there's already an blog entry complaining about Microsoft using the name "Small Basic" and I must admit I can understand them:
    Have you (at  DevLabs) thought of using another name? Didn't you know about the other project (it's ranked No.1 on Google and on Live Search after all). I realize that there's a lot of different Basic dialects and that it's not easy to find a new name. Have you just chosen the weakest adversary you could find? What's about a reuse of "GW-Basic" or "QuickBasic" (wouldn't QuickBasic.NET have worked?)

I'm not involved with neither of the two projects and of course it's none of my business but I'm just curious ...

Best regards

Martin Stettner

Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:00 PM

Answers

• Martin,

Thanks for raising your concern here.  When the project started, we weren't aware of another project named SmallBASIC and the naming was pure coincidence.  It's unfortunate that this confusion has emerged between the names "SmallBASIC" and "Small Basic."  We'll look into this issue and chart out the correct course of action.

Thanks
    Vijaye
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:11 AM