Swiping action from edge of screen

Question

• Hi all,

I'm developing game where by the user will inevitably swipe from the edges of the screen to somewhere in the middle. I've noticed that swiping from the left hand side causes Windows 8 to move the entire app around.

This means that the game is unplayable if this cannot be disabled or worked around.

I've noticed another post from 2013 whereby there is no way around this and I'm sure this wont be the last it's asked.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks,

Simon.

Diagramatic - Developer of WP7 Apps and Games. http://www.diagramatic.co.uk

Sunday, June 8, 2014 11:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As my first reply says, you cannot do this and there is no way in windows store app can do this.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean you want to disable the edge swipe gesture in your app? As far as I know, there is no way to do this in windows store app. It cannot be done programmatically.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 9, 2014 9:14 AM
  • You didn´t specify the programming language that you are using.
    If in HTML/Javascript/CSS, maybe you should disable "touch-action" (CSS), so default panning and zooming are disable and let your app reproduce your gesture events correctly.

If your problem is with the "Charm bar" of Windows 8, i know that you can disable it in a Windows 8 Embedded Industry OS.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you want to disable the edge swipe gesture in your app? As far as I know, there is no way to do this in windows store app. It cannot be done programmatically.

Best Wishes!

Yes disabling the edge swipe gesture.

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:42 AM
  • You didn´t specify the programming language that you are using.
    If in HTML/Javascript/CSS, maybe you should disable "touch-action" (CSS), so default panning and zooming are disable and let your app reproduce your gesture events correctly.

If your problem is with the "Charm bar" of Windows 8, i know that you can disable it in a Windows 8 Embedded Industry OS.

I'm working in C# and want to disable the swipe gestures around the edges of the screen.

Monday, June 9, 2014 11:43 AM
  • Hi,

As my first reply says, you cannot do this and there is no way in windows store app can do this.

Best Wishes!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:42 AM