none
How to connect betwwen desktop and Portable device assitance? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am doing my project in Portable device assitance(PDA) . It is a wince based application.

I have connect a local database in a desktop and i create database, insert ,update,delete , and viewed my records by using SQL server Ce database.

But i dont no how to connect between desktop and PDA.

Is it possible to connect via SQL Server Ce database to wince application .

If is not please give me some sample codes and ideas .

Advance Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am waiting for your reply................

Monday, June 6, 2011 9:55 AM

All replies

• So, you can use SQL Server Compact from a Windows CE program, if you've installed SQL Server Compact on the device.  However, that's not the same as being able to access a database file on the desktop PC from your Windows CE device.  That is not generally possible.  The only exception would be a case where the Windows CE-based device could "see" the database file as though it was on the Windows CE device. That is, if the desktop file were in a network file share and if the Windows CE device "mapped" that share and if the application on Windows CE looked in the mapped folder, it might be able to open the file and use it.

SQL Server Compact *IS NOT SQL SERVER*. There is no network access to databases, as there is with SQL Server.

You really need to give us an intelligible description of what you actually want to do.  If we had that, we could at least advise you how to proceed.  Right now, all we know is that you have some desktop PC program that uses SQL Server Compact and writes data to a file and that you have a Windows CE device.  We don't know what you want to do on the CE device AT ALL.

Paul T.

Friday, June 10, 2011 5:28 PM