Virtual Machine NIC loosing PING response RRS feed

• Question

• We have issue with respect to Virtual machine loosing reponse to PING, we get request timed out for couple of minutes during perticular time frame. This happens everyday & we have come accross that symantec DAT file updates are taking during that time, but not sure is this causing the failures.

Is there a way to track the casue for PING failures? Can we set up monitoring for TCP/IP protocal to track the cause of PING failures?

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• Lack of Ping repsonses could be due to load issues on the host or client VM.  There is really nothing I can think to do from the Network Monitor perspetive as either that frames are getting there or not.  I suppose a trace on the client might tell you if the OS is just not responding to them.  However, if this is a load issue, then the frames might just be getting dropped and I'm not sure if Network Monitor can report those in that case or not.

Since this is a VM, you'll want to understand the load of the Host and VM client.  Either one could affect your ability to recieve network traffic.

Paul

Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:52 PM