Distributed Application (Web API or WCF) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1311657157 posted

I am trying to design a distributed application that will have several clients - mvc3, android, ios and possibly a winforms app later on.

The requirements for the application state the it must have a 99.9% uptime, must be scalable and most of all must secure.

My idea is to have the web application on its own servers and the BLL and DAL deployed together on their own server(s).

I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered.

1. How should I expose the BLL? Should I build a Web API or a WCF Service or a WCF Service with a Web API?
    2. How do I expose the BLL or (API or Service) to the client applications (mvc, android, ect..) in a secure manner so that only MY applications or approved applications can communicate with my app.
    3. Is it okay to deploy the BLL and the DAL together?
    4. Is this on overall decent structure or am I way off?

Monday, July 23, 2012 10:06 PM

Answers

• User-1828494216 posted

Hi ntek designs

Web API is a WCF Service designed to provide data to public (WCF Web API Overview). Does OData ring a bell? What is the best approach depends on what you want to do with your service and the time you wish to spend coding it. I know I'd go with "basic" WCF and build it from scratch, but for a begginer WEB API might be "better" and faster.

How you expose the service to client applications depends on what kind of binding you will choose. Each binding has it's own security features (some are shared among each other some are not).

WCF Services can be quite complicated and without having an in depth information about project one can not provide a solution.

I know this is not the answer you were hoping for but I hope it opened your eyes a bit.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:19 PM