none
Unable to find source files RRS feed

• Question

• I have written source codes in my Windows embedded compact platform builder. My evaluation period expired so i had to apply for another one. After reinstalling it, i can't find the source codes to the project i was working on even when i load the project file into the platform builder. Can i get some help on how or where to locate my source files?
    Friday, October 25, 2013 5:01 PM

All replies

• Huh?  How would we know where your changes are?

What did you change?  

Hopefully you didn't change code outside of your BSP and OSDesign.   If you did, then the installer probably overwrote them - which is why we often state that you should not change public code, but instead clone the code.  The updates, or QFEs, can also overwrite your changes.

That goes for modifying one of the installed BSPs as well, instead it is better to copy it to a new folder and make the necessary changes to batch and catalog files.

Now that you are starting over, consider using version control and committing all of your changes to it.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Friday, October 25, 2013 8:40 PM
  • No, I did not alter any source code outside the BSP and OSDesign. I was working on a build in a 180-day evaluation period Windows Embedded Compact 7, but I did not get to finish my project before the expiration occurred. Thankfully I was able to install it another on a different PC. But, when I copied the build files to the new install, my source codes seemed to have vanished. I can't seem to find the source file directory. 
    Thanks.

P.S. : IDE Visual Studio 9
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Only you know what you changed and where those changes are.   Once you copy those locations from the original PC to the new one it should work.

What are "build files" and how are they different from "source codes" and "source file directory"?

What exactly did you copy?

Did you try to re-install on the original PC?   Could that have deleted your changes?

Again, version control would prevent this from occurring in the future.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:11 PM