none
Is it possible to track the user's direction when user turn's his/her back to kinect? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use kinect sdk, However, I found that when user turn's left or right when angle is bigger than 90 degrees, kinect cannot detect the back side, it will always returns ahead direction? Is it possible to tell when user is turning his/her back to kinect? This is possible in openni/nite, is it any possiblity to add this to microsoft kinect sdk?
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:00 PM

All replies

• Nobody knows how to solve this problem? What a shame that so many people viewed without any answers!
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 2:34 PM
  • What you want isn't possible in the current SDK. The ability may be added in the future, or it may not.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Are you asking whether the kinect can tell whether someone is facing forwards or backwards?
    Friday, January 13, 2012 1:00 AM
  • yes, I mean that, whether it can track when user facing his/her back to kinect
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Are there any possibilities to implement this feature using some kind of tricks?
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:17 PM
  • Yes, but don't expect much.

1) Are the hand points "behind" the elbow points?

2) Some kind of face/back of head video recognition based on the video camera and the head position.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:09 PM
  • 3) check if right or left foot is closer than the ankle to kinect?
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi, we are kind of face to such problem when we use kinect sdk.

We track the skeleton and we want the skeleton turns around completely when the user turns around. We found when the user turns his back toward the kinect device, the skeleton can't be detected correctly( the  skeleton is still trying to face its front to kinect ).

I wonder if there will be improvement in the future, or any setting I should modify.

Thanks for any advice.

NDark

• Edited by NDark Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:56 AM
  • the ST data is tuned for front facing. The data you get from a back facing skeleton will be less reliable. There are certainly things you could do to help detect when a skeleton turns around, but you would still have some issues with things like joint orientation.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 5:16 AM
  • the ST data is tuned for front facing. The data you get from a back facing skeleton will be less reliable. There are certainly things you could do to help detect when a skeleton turns around, but you would still have some issues with things like joint orientation.

hi Todd,

Thx for reply soon.

May I ask what the certain things are?

We just don't want the skeleton suddenly and forcefully face to front ( toward kinect device ), and flip left arm/leg with right arm/leg , when the user turns around. That is, we want its back toward kinect device in such case.

NDark

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:40 AM
  • we haven't done a lot of testing with back facing, so results are going to vary based on the tuning for front facing. You could possibly start with front facing and use facial tracking to detect a turnaround, but after that, you would need to do a lot of work with the data you are getting. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do, and the positions of the subjects that you are looking to track. i.e. a static position vs. movement.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:57 AM
  • The most reliable way to determine if you are facing the camera is to use the Face Tracking SDK. However, you may get false negatives if the FTSDK is not yet able to locate a face, or the user's head is turned beyond the FTSDK's ability to track.

Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:11 AM