none
After upgrading from Access 2013 to Access 2016 program times out after linking to Sharepoint Lists RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed a new access 2016. I had created a database front end and back end with access 2013. I uploaded the back end to sharepoint as lists. It worked fine. I replaced my local copy of access 2013 with 2016. When I re-link to the lists (which I can do successfully) and then try to open any form or linked table, the cursor spins and I have to force a shut down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:40 PM

Answers

• >>>What do you mean with “uploaded the back end to sharepoint as lists”?

The back end was locally a database of tables. These tables were exported to sharepoint where they became "lists". The "lists" were then linked to the front end residing locally on a PC/

This was resolved by reinstalling Access 2013 and eliminating access 2016 from the picture.

• Marked as answer by MikeMan 48 Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:37 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:01 PM

All replies

• First be sure to do the trust center.

I can only suggest a sanity check; whip up a brand new desktop database - 1 table 1 form; and then do the split so the back end goes to the sharepoint list.....    and then see if that guy times out as well....   You don't learn much if it works ok but if this also times out then you know there is some other issue at play.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:58 PM
  • That wouldn't tell me much. My concern is that lists made with tables created in Microsoft access 2013 are incompatible with microsoft access 2016. I would like to see if anyone (I'm sure someone has) had upgraded and run into the same problem.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:17 PM
  • I can't imagine lists or tables changing compatibility.  I believe the issue is the linking itself.  Is the SharePoint on the same LAN or in the 365 cloud?  Don't overlook the trust center.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:53 PM
  • On office 365.

What trust center issues should I be looking for? There was no notifications.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:20 PM
  • trust center ; just run it thru its normal set up to trust the folder for front end and back end - - not sure what it sees when going to sharepoint...only takes a minute.

but otherwise I myself would also experiment further; for instance create a new front end and attempt to link to an existing SharePoint list - see if it behaves ok....

you can double click on the SharePoint list and open it okay? without Access?

we're presuming your new Access 2016 links fine to a regular BE file on the same LAN....(true?..)... so it comes down to path or permissions to those SharePoint lists...I think

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Hi Mike,

>> I had created a database front end and back end with access 2013. I uploaded the back end to sharepoint as lists
    What do you mean with “uploaded the back end to sharepoint as lists”? Could you share us details steps about this?

>> When I re-link to the lists (which I can do successfully) and then try to open any form or linked table, the cursor spins and I have to force a shut down
    If you link to sharepoint list from Access 2016, could you open the linked table correctly? Could not you open the linked table to sharepoint list or all the tables could not be open?

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:22 AM
  • >>>What do you mean with “uploaded the back end to sharepoint as lists”?

The back end was locally a database of tables. These tables were exported to sharepoint where they became "lists". The "lists" were then linked to the front end residing locally on a PC/

This was resolved by reinstalling Access 2013 and eliminating access 2016 from the picture.

• Marked as answer by MikeMan 48 Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:37 PM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:01 PM
  • well that's too bad in a way; because those of us with linked 365 apps - - there remains the issue of what is happening to the embedded path when one upgrades to a new version of Access.

this contributes to my view of the caution needed in relying on a linked 365 (cloud) installment - as there is not a lot of documentation and support is uneven. 

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Hi Mike,

>>This was resolved by reinstalling Access 2013 and eliminating access 2016 from the picture.

Do you mean your issue has been resolved by reinstalling Access 2013? If so, I suggest you mark your reply as answer to close this thread.

If I misunderstood you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 3:26 AM