none
Best option to migrate the servers from on-premise to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

We have around 15 servers which needs to be migrated to cloud. We do not have any existing connectivity to Azure cloud.  However, we do have secured public connectivity.

Here is the details.

Web Servers: 6 (windows server 2012), 2 nginx load balancer (ubuntu)

DB servers: 3 (1 primary server and 2 is replica of 1st database), 1 Datawarehouse

Business servers: 6

We would want Secure, scalable, reliable and cost-effective hybrid cloud environment built on Microsoft cloud offering. 

All are Windows 2012 R2 servers except for nginx loadbalancer.

I went through both Azure migrate and ASR solutions. 

Please suggest the best solution on how we could migrate the above servers.

• Edited by Vivan RA Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:49 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:47 AM

Answers

• Vivan,

You can use Azure Migrate: Server Migration tool that is part of the Azure Migrate service to migrate the VMs. The tool provides an agentless replication as well as an agent based replication method to migrate VMware VMs to Azure. For both these methods replication can happen either over the internet or alternately an ExpressRoute circuit that is configured with Microsoft Peering(if you need provisioned bandwidth to move large volumes of data). Regardless of whether you replicate over the internet or over the express route circuit data transfer is completely secure and happens over a TLS encrypted connection to a storage account in your subscription. As part of the migration settings you'll specify the Azure virtual network into which the VMs are to be migrated. If you migrate the VMs to the Azure vnet to which you've created an S2S VPN, you'll be able to access the VMs from your on-prem site post migration over the S2S VPN(so you don't have to expose the VMs to the internet if it isn't meant to be an internet facing website or web app)

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:37 PM

All replies

• Can you please share what type of environment these systems are migrating from (ie. Physical, VMware, or Hyper-V)? Also, what version of Ubuntu is being used?

Without knowing too many details, the general suggestion would be to use Express Route for the hybrid connectivity, along with Azure Migrate for the assessment and migration activities.

Friday, October 11, 2019 6:17 AM
  • Hi Sadiqh,

We are migrating 13 physical servers and all are Windows Server 2012 R2. 1 Vmware server (Windows server 2012 R2) and Ubuntu 1403 server for Nginx Load Balancer.

We do not have Express Route connectivity to Azure nor any kind of Vnets setup for now. 

Suggest the best possible solutions. 

I understand that Azure migrate will be a great assistance for us. However, we are in the planning phase for S2S VPN setup between our Organization and Azure. 

Hope the above details are sufficient. Let me know if you need more details.

Friday, October 11, 2019 7:02 AM
  • Hi Sadiqh, 

Does this question take this long to provide a suggestion. Could anyone from MS look into this. 

Monday, October 14, 2019 6:13 AM
  • Hi Microsoft,

Can I have some better advice on my question. I am not sure what is going on here for last 3 days. Can anyone treat this question at the earliest.

Monday, October 14, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi Sadiqh, 

Can I have your Managers details. Or are you just 1st level guy to ask basic questions from the customer and run away without answering further.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Sorry for the delay. For migration, the connection can be over the internet, or you can use Azure Express-route with public/Microsoft peering. Site to site VPN is not supported.

I still suggest you run migration assessment tool and based on recommendations proceed with your migration plan.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:48 AM
  • Can I have supporting document which talks about "Site to site VPN is not supported" .

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:16 PM
  • Vivan,

You can use Azure Migrate: Server Migration tool that is part of the Azure Migrate service to migrate the VMs. The tool provides an agentless replication as well as an agent based replication method to migrate VMware VMs to Azure. For both these methods replication can happen either over the internet or alternately an ExpressRoute circuit that is configured with Microsoft Peering(if you need provisioned bandwidth to move large volumes of data). Regardless of whether you replicate over the internet or over the express route circuit data transfer is completely secure and happens over a TLS encrypted connection to a storage account in your subscription. As part of the migration settings you'll specify the Azure virtual network into which the VMs are to be migrated. If you migrate the VMs to the Azure vnet to which you've created an S2S VPN, you'll be able to access the VMs from your on-prem site post migration over the S2S VPN(so you don't have to expose the VMs to the internet if it isn't meant to be an internet facing website or web app)

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 1:37 PM