[MS-OXCRPC] AsyncEMSMDB EcDoAsyncWaitEx non-event notifications in Exchange 2010 SP2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to understand a problem I'm seeing with Async EMSMDB calls between Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2010 SP2.

MS-OXCRPC section 3.3.4.1 says that the server will not complete an EcDoAsyncWaitEx call until either an event is available, or five minutes has elapsed from the time of the call, whichever occurs first.

Viewed with NetMon 3.4, my Exchange 2007 SP3 environment does work this way, returning approximately every 5 minutes during idle periods.

However, my Exchange 2010 SP2 server never returns from this call unless there is an event, regardless of elapsed time. Further, if the server is very busy (with LoadGen stress test traffic for instance) the call may not return even if there is an event available. When the server becomes idle again and a new event occurs, the call will return multiple times for each of the deferred and new notifications.

So the questions are, is the spec wrong or incomplete; is Exchange 2010 SP2 non-compliant;  is my Exchange 2010 server somehow broken?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:18 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

As I mentioned in my previous response this is a known behavior change in Exchange Server 2010 in this area.  I hope the details of the behavior change as I've posted are sufficient.  This issue is being considered for inclusion in a future document change.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• John,

Someone from our team will be following up with you shortly in regards to your issue.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hi John,

I am investigating this issue and will follow up with you.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for your patience.  I'm still working on getting the answer to this question, and will follow up soon.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:15 PM
  • HI John,

Thank you for your patience while I continue to research to confirm the details regarding the Exchange Server 2010 behavior for the issue you found.  What I’ve confirmed so far is that Exchange Server 2010 will not complete the call until there has been *no* activity on the EMSMDB context for 5+ minutes, or an event.  In Exchange Server 2007 we always return it after 5 minutes, or an event.

Regards,
    Mark Miller
    Escalation Engineer
    US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Monday, March 21, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Hi John,

As I mentioned in my previous response this is a known behavior change in Exchange Server 2010 in this area.  I hope the details of the behavior change as I've posted are sufficient.  This issue is being considered for inclusion in a future document change.

Regards,

Mark Miller

Escalation Engineer

US-CSS DSC PROTOCOL TEAM

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi, Mark

Thanks for confirming that behavior. I will be able to work around it.

John

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:17 PM