none
How to upgrade Service Bus 1.0 to 1.1 in workflow manager farm. RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to upgrade service bus 1.0 to 1.1 and during the upgrade  - only option was to leave the workflow manager farm and uninstall 1.0.

After upgrading to service bus 1.1 leaving the farm then we are unable to join back workflow manager farm. 

One of main reason to upgrade service 1.1 is use TLS 1.2 and disable TLS 1.1 and 1.0.

So please let me know, if any instructions of upgrading the service bus 1.1 and join the workflow manager farm.

Monday, March 30, 2020 5:11 PM

Answers

• I am sorry, you have to leave the workflow farm for upgrading Service Bus, i have updated my previous post. And for the article they says Microsoft does not support but you can still upgrade your farm.

Follow below article for upgrading TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 on Service Bus.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4077554/add-support-for-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-on-service-bus-for-windows-server

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by SharePoint169 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:36 PM
  • Please make sure the following binaries versions are installed. The version higher than the below are fine. 

Service Bus 1.1 – 2.0.50926.9 

Microsoft Azure service fabric  - 5.1.163.9590

Workflow Manager CU4 or higher

.Net Framework 4.6.2 – KB 3151800

Invoke-Sbfarmupgrade command successfull. 

If you are using SQL server that is greater than 2014, you need to follow the instructions given in the article shared by Sharath above, to update SQL compatibility model of database to version 120 from 130 or whichever. 

If everything is correct, but you still not able to add the host in to the farm, here are couple of questions:

1. Where is the issue ? whether it is adding the server in to the Service bus farm or Workflow Manager farm ? 

You could get this information in the configuration wizard. Or you could also try running the PowerShell Add-SbHost and Add-WFHost and see where the error is. Try to capture the event viewer logs for more detailed error message. 

2. What were the steps you took for this upgrade. I know you reffered Sharath's MSFT article, but if you can give a breif step by step, it would be easy to double check. 

Thank you, 

Balajee 

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:09 PM

All replies

• Thanks Sharath - but above article link is "Service Bus for Windows Server 1.1", what i am looking for upgrade workflow manager 1.0 - service bus 1.0. 

Can you please confirm - Service Bus for windows server 1.1 and Windows Azure Pack for service 1.1 are same?

Monday, March 30, 2020 6:15 PM
  • First you have to leave the workflow farm for upgrading Service Bus 1.0 to 1.1. And also one more thing Service Bus 1.1 needs Workflow Manager 1.0 CU4 or above. 

As far as i know it should be the same for Service Bus for Windows / Azure.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Monday, March 30, 2020 9:17 PM
  • Below Note in link you provided above. Based on this note, we can't upgrade to service bus 1.1 in workflow manager 1.0 CU4 or CU5.

Note -Service Bus for Windows Server 1.1 does not support upgrading farms used for Workflow Manager 1.0.

another thing -  with out uninstalling service bus from control panel and leaving the workflow farm, I was not able upgrade service bus. 

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:57 PM
  • I am sorry, you have to leave the workflow farm for upgrading Service Bus, i have updated my previous post. And for the article they says Microsoft does not support but you can still upgrade your farm.

Follow below article for upgrading TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 on Service Bus.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4077554/add-support-for-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-on-service-bus-for-windows-server

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by SharePoint169 Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:37 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:36 PM
  • Thanks Sharath, I was able to upgrade Service Bus for Windows Server 1.1 with TLS 1.2 support leaving the farm. But the problem I had was unable to join back WFM.  SBManagement databases was still referencing the old service bus version. received error object reference not set instance ..
    Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:01 PM
  • Please make sure the following binaries versions are installed. The version higher than the below are fine. 

Service Bus 1.1 – 2.0.50926.9 

Microsoft Azure service fabric  - 5.1.163.9590

Workflow Manager CU4 or higher

.Net Framework 4.6.2 – KB 3151800

Invoke-Sbfarmupgrade command successfull. 

If you are using SQL server that is greater than 2014, you need to follow the instructions given in the article shared by Sharath above, to update SQL compatibility model of database to version 120 from 130 or whichever. 

If everything is correct, but you still not able to add the host in to the farm, here are couple of questions:

1. Where is the issue ? whether it is adding the server in to the Service bus farm or Workflow Manager farm ? 

You could get this information in the configuration wizard. Or you could also try running the PowerShell Add-SbHost and Add-WFHost and see where the error is. Try to capture the event viewer logs for more detailed error message. 

2. What were the steps you took for this upgrade. I know you reffered Sharath's MSFT article, but if you can give a breif step by step, it would be easy to double check. 

Thank you, 

Balajee 

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 7:09 PM
  • Thank you Balajee,

detailed information - Invoke-Sbfarmupgrade command failed, but it got fixed after applying Azure service fabric and updating compability settings.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:37 PM
  • Awesome, Thanks for Sharing !!

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:47 PM