Timeout, connection pooling RRS feed

• Question

• User-1607533591 posted
    Hi: I am using the DAAB in a windows form exe. In summary, the program using data input forms to allow the user to input or modify data in the database. When an input form is opened, the program makes about ten initial calls to the database using the exact same connection string by ExecuteDataset(connectionstring, commandtype, commandtext, param array) in order to fill various bound dropdownlists with information. I had assumed that using the exact same connection string would initiate connection pooling and that the connections would be reused. I have disposed of the datasets after they are bound to the dropdownlists. I also walked the code of the DAAB to make sure that the connections were "closed" (actually the DAAB disposes). But, if a user opens four or five forms within a minute or two, the following error is thrown in the DAAB; ExceptionType="System.InvalidOperationException" Message="Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached." TargetSite="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection GetPooledConnection(System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionString, Boolean ByRef)" Source="System.Data" I could understand this if the calls to ExecuteDataset are not closing connections, but they are closing connections in the Finally. Who has got all the connections tied up? What is happening? TIA, Bill
    Monday, May 3, 2004 6:00 AM

All replies

• User-1607533591 posted
    Group: An update to this "issue". The timeout, connection pooling problem only seems to occure while debugging within Visual Studio 2003. When we run the .exe outside of the development environment the problem with the DAAB unable to use pooled connections seems to stop. When using the DAAB in our Visual Studio 2003 Net.ASP development environment we are not having this problem. I hope this helps someone else. Regards, Bill
    Friday, May 14, 2004 3:40 AM