ANOTHER URL rewite question RRS feed

• Question

• User1926372513 posted

I know that there is a bunch of questions on this forum concerning URL rewriting, but I need to add one more please.

I am creating a free application that anyone can sign up for.

I want to have a single IP where a user types in www.domainname.com and it will go to a marketing site. This will use a default.master page and theme.

Then they can sign up for the site and enter in a unique name like: foo. Then they can create a little personal site.

Then whenever they type in www.domainname.com/foo I want it to do a look up and generate their site using a chosen theme and a user.master page.

So far this is no biggy....

But I also want them to have the option of buying a domain and pointing it to the site IP. Then making a change in their configuration to add it to my database.

Now when they type in www.foo.com it will go to their personalize site also.

Are there sites/apps that do this? I'm sure DNN does something similar. But I am looking for a nice walk through or write up to help me get all of this going.

Thank you any help.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:30 PM

Answers

• User-1567482218 posted

How about this no-frills option? You could drop the following line into the default.html or index.html file on the user's new domain. This line will automatically redirect user Joe from his domain to the subdirectory on your website.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="5; URL=http://www.sample.com/joe">

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:31 AM