VSO-GIT PULL request shows items already Checked and PUSHED in RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Visual Studio Enterprise 2015.

I did some file changes in my repository and Pushed the changes, and the outgoing Commits shows: "There are no outgoing commits."

But when I again do a Pull I can see the same Commits I did previously.

And again doing the Push, they do not appear and I get the same message of "There are no outgoing commits."

And this Pull-Push is repeating everytime, and checkins are showing up in every Pull request shown below.

What I can do to make it sure that my changes are checked-in, and my team members can Pull and see my changes?

Monday, February 26, 2018 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Manoj,

>> after I do Commit & Push the 3 commits vanish, but when I do a Pull all 3 commits reappear

What is the result when you use git command to submit the changes?

Please use command “git status” to check the status of change files in the local repository.

If it works fine when you use git command, I suggest you could create a new repository locally, and test again.

And based on the warning “Repository is already up to date. No changes to pull.”, please have a look at this thread which has the similar issue.

Hope could help you.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:48 AM
  • OK, I think I got what was the issue.

I actually Branched the master branch twice with two similar branch names having difference of just upper/lower case character.

I think this would have created confusion in VSO-GIT repository, as I deleted the previous branch, the Push happened successfully.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Manoj,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

This forum is discussing Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

According to your description, your issue is related to TFS Version Control. Since the TFS forums have been locked, the discussion for TFS has moved. I recommend you could post your issue on Stack Overflow or Developer Community, where the MS support engineers for TFS will assist you with it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:48 AM
  • Thanks for your response Judy.

I'm working with GIT on Visual Studio, not on TFS.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:26 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

>> I did some file changes in my repository and Pushed the changes, and the outgoing Commits shows: "There are no outgoing commits."

Which item from following screenshot do you choose when you pushed the changes?

Commit will simply make record of your changes that you have made on your local machine. It will not mark the change in the remote repository.

Commit All and Push will do the above and push it to the remote repository. This means that any changes you have made will be saved to the remote repository as well.

Commit All and Sync does three things. First, it will commit. Second, it will perform a pull (grabs the updated information from the remote repo). Finally, it will push.

See more information from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/git/tutorial/pulling?tabs=visual-studio

>> But when I again do a Pull I can see the same Commits I did previously.

Where do you see the same commits?

Based on my understanding, when we do a Pull, it will fetch the code from remote repository and merge them with local code.

I suggest you go to Home page in Team Explorer, click the project link and open it use Internet explorer, then, check that the pushed changes are uploaded correctly to the remote repository.

>> What I can do to make it sure that my changes are checked-in, and my team members can Pull and see my changes?

After doing changes, please open Changes page in Team Explorer, enter a commit message and click Commit All and Push. Then, your changes will save on your local machine and to the remote repository, your team members can pull and see your changes.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:45 AM
  • Thanks Judy.

I'm doing the same as you told, and have been using GIT for last 2 years.

This is the first time I'm seeing this weird issue.

As shown in the image I shared above, after I do Commit & Push the 3 commits vanish, but when I do a Pull all 3 commits reappear. I seems like the Commits are not reaching to the remote repo, also my other team member is not able to see my commits and changes.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:02 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

>> after I do Commit & Push the 3 commits vanish, but when I do a Pull all 3 commits reappear

What is the result when you use git command to submit the changes?

Please use command “git status” to check the status of change files in the local repository.

If it works fine when you use git command, I suggest you could create a new repository locally, and test again.

And based on the warning “Repository is already up to date. No changes to pull.”, please have a look at this thread which has the similar issue.

Hope could help you.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:48 AM
  • OK, I think I got what was the issue.

I actually Branched the master branch twice with two similar branch names having difference of just upper/lower case character.

I think this would have created confusion in VSO-GIT repository, as I deleted the previous branch, the Push happened successfully.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:16 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

Glad you have resolved your issue.

Please mark your reply as an answer, that will help other community members who encountered the same issue with you.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Thanks Judy, but I'm wondering why the character case was conflicting with the 2 repos?

Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:31 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

To be honest, I don’t know why.

I doubt that git branch names are case insensitive. If you create a branch name hello and another branch name HELLO, both will be pointed to the same commit, so it caused a conflict.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Judy ZhuY Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:57 AM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 9:57 AM