conditional manditory fields? RRS feed

• Question

• IP 2007, web-enabled form

Is it possible to set the manditory status of a field based upon conditional formatting? I have certian fields that I hide based on the selection of other fields. I would like to have every field marked as manditory, however trying to make this stuff user-friendly, I can not have a field that is set to be manditory which is hidden from the user!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lou

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:05 PM

Answers

• When you hide a mandatory field, assign it some value.  I think that should work.  If the user does something to unhide the data, blank it back out.  It's a bit of a hassle, especially if there are a lot of fields.  If someone has a better idea, let us know.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  

Hi Lou,

The other way that was described does work and I used to do it that way but then I changed to using Data Validation instead because it was easier to keep track of what was being required.  You will need to identify all the fields that you will use data validation on and then make them not required and then add data validation to those fields to make them required.  You can base the validation off the control that makes the hidden sections appear.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers,

Michael Lotter

http://www.sharepointbogs.com/mdlotter

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:09 PM

All replies

• When you hide a mandatory field, assign it some value.  I think that should work.  If the user does something to unhide the data, blank it back out.  It's a bit of a hassle, especially if there are a lot of fields.  If someone has a better idea, let us know.

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:27 AM
  •  

Hi Lou,

The other way that was described does work and I used to do it that way but then I changed to using Data Validation instead because it was easier to keep track of what was being required.  You will need to identify all the fields that you will use data validation on and then make them not required and then add data validation to those fields to make them required.  You can base the validation off the control that makes the hidden sections appear.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers,

Michael Lotter

http://www.sharepointbogs.com/mdlotter

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Thanks! This works!

Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:21 PM
  • I have the same question but Michael lost me at " you will need to identify..."

I have a drop down field called "Business Group" and one of the selections is "Other"
    When "other" is selected it makes a text field below it visible, This field is called "Other Business Group"

I want to make sure someone actually types something into the field "Other Business Group" when the field is visible

I am not sure how to do this through the text box properties. 

• If I click on the Data validation button in the text box properties and fill out the info, I only have an option to create a screen tip
    • If I click on Rules and then add one, I get more options but not an option to make a field required data

Can you step me through where I would setup the validation that if the field is visible that it must contain data? 

Thanks,
    -B

Friday, August 8, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Did you actually end up getting a response to this question because it's exactly what I'm after - I have found a solution if you are using InfoPath 2010 but I am on 2007

Thanks

Friday, November 11, 2011 12:06 AM