none
dynamically ExecuteStoreQuery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I using entity framework, in my Web UI i need to run the query and stored procedure dynamically. I try to use the ctx.ExecuteStoreQuery<T>.  When i give TElement correctly it retun the result correctly. In my case i need dynamically. How i handle this.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:16 AM

Answers

• Hi ArunPrakash82;

You could create a generic method and call it with the correct parameters. For example 

// Generic method
    static public List<T> GetResults<T>(T element, ObjectContext ctx, string cmd) { // List of T elements to be returned. List<T> results = null; // Execute the query results = ctx.ExecuteStoreQuery<T>(cmd, null).ToList(); // Return the results return results; }

To execute this method you would do something like this.

// Create the ObjectContext
    var ctx = new MyEntities();

string cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable1s";
    var resultList = GetResults(new MyTable1(), ctx, cmd);

cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable2s";
    var resultList2 = GetResults(new MyTable2(), ctx, cmd);

cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable3s";
    var resultList3 = GetResults(new MyTable3(), ctx, cmd);

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, November 5, 2012 9:36 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:18 AM

All replies

• Hi ArunPrakash82;

You could create a generic method and call it with the correct parameters. For example 

// Generic method
    static public List<T> GetResults<T>(T element, ObjectContext ctx, string cmd) { // List of T elements to be returned. List<T> results = null; // Execute the query results = ctx.ExecuteStoreQuery<T>(cmd, null).ToList(); // Return the results return results; }

To execute this method you would do something like this.

// Create the ObjectContext
    var ctx = new MyEntities();

string cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable1s";
    var resultList = GetResults(new MyTable1(), ctx, cmd);

cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable2s";
    var resultList2 = GetResults(new MyTable2(), ctx, cmd);

cmd = @"Select * FROM MyTable3s";
    var resultList3 = GetResults(new MyTable3(), ctx, cmd);

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, November 5, 2012 9:36 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:18 AM
  • Hi Fernando,

The generic method is okay. But in my situation i didn't know what table i used in the UI layer. 

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:42 AM
  •   

When you are about to execute the, ExecuteStoreQuery, you will know what table you will be using, it is in the SQL Select string statement.

Fernando (MCSD)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:58 PM
  • It doesn't return proper type unless I indicate explicitly as T. If I call GetResult<MyTable1>(new MyTable(), ctx, cmd) it return me result type MyTable1. If I call GetResult(new MyTable(), ctx, cmd) it returns object and I cannot do anything after that. The question is: how can I pass variable of type Type as T?
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:33 PM