I'm currently having an issue with the translator, it's telling me that I have a zero balance. However, when i log on, my balance is still full at the free 2,000,000 per month.
In previous months I have used the translation services with no issue, but this month for some reason it will not allow me. The code I am using has not changed, so it is unlikely to be the cause.
Also, after reading other posts, I tried making another account to test if it was the authorization information that wasn't working, but the new client id and client secret return the same "zero balance" problem.
Anyone have any insight?
I'm running Visual Studio Express 2013, c# on a windows 7 machine.
It randomly started working again today. Still no idea why as i changed nothing. Very inconsistent product...
Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:16 PM
- Edited by Dev105 Friday, June 27, 2014 2:04 PM
hi, I have a similar problem. I subscribed to the fee account with data limit to 2M characters. Initially it worked. But now my balance is always zero and the translator no longer works. It looks to me a bug or database error. can someone at microsoft help?
johnTuesday, November 03, 2015 10:31 PM
The 2M characters is the monthly subscription volume, at no cost. If the subscription is at zero characters, it means you used up the full balance of the subscription. Therefore, the service stops until the start of the next subscription month, or when you upgrade to a higher monthly volume.
You can upgrade the monthly volume at www.aka.ms/TranslatorADM.
To understand how we count characters, visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page on the Microsoft Translator website at www.aka.ms/TranslatorFAQ.
Thank you for using the Microsoft Translator service.
Microsoft Translator team - www.microsoft.com/Translator
Wednesday, November 04, 2015 11:03 PMOwner
- Proposed as answer by Chris WendtMicrosoft employee, Owner Wednesday, November 04, 2015 11:04 PM