htm or html RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In 1998 I did my first website. At that time I used htm for the pages. I was re-working my site and now I have

html for the pages. I also changed the names of a few pages. Then it hit me. The search engines are using the

old page names and htm. I assume I should change the names of the pages back to the old version.  Are there

any negative consequences to changing to htm. Example: breaking internal site links and references to files on the

server ie php files. I work on my site once every 4 to 5 years. As a result, I`m forgetting some these web details.

Hoping for some help!

BW barry

Monday, February 4, 2013 7:32 PM

Answers

• Kathy is correct; as long as you perform file manipulations—copy, move, rename, etc.—within EW (i.e. not using Explorer or another external file manager), and you have "Manage site using hidden metadata" checked in "Site|Site Settings...|General tab," EW will keep track of changes, and make sure all links and references are updated.

That said, if the pages have been around for a while, and have built up any SEO "juice" in that time, you might want to reconsider changing them. To preserve that SE relevance, you would need to create permanent 301 redirects from the old extension to the new for each changed extension.

If it were me, I would simply leave things as they are for older pages in an established site, and establish a policy going forward (htm or html) and enforce it consistently. There is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to either, so there is no harm in leaving them as is. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:44 PM

All replies

• If you change the name of a file, you need to change all instances of that name in all references to it.

EW will do that automatically for standard links in the pages - it will ask you to OK that when you rename the file in EW.

Monday, February 4, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Kathy is correct; as long as you perform file manipulations—copy, move, rename, etc.—within EW (i.e. not using Explorer or another external file manager), and you have "Manage site using hidden metadata" checked in "Site|Site Settings...|General tab," EW will keep track of changes, and make sure all links and references are updated.

That said, if the pages have been around for a while, and have built up any SEO "juice" in that time, you might want to reconsider changing them. To preserve that SE relevance, you would need to create permanent 301 redirects from the old extension to the new for each changed extension.

If it were me, I would simply leave things as they are for older pages in an established site, and establish a policy going forward (htm or html) and enforce it consistently. There is no inherent advantage or disadvantage to either, so there is no harm in leaving them as is. ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, February 4, 2013 9:44 PM