Default Tile for BackgroundTaskSample not showing up

Question

• I am trying to send a notification to my the default tile of this sample app in the CompleteHandler but I dont see a Tile showing up on the Metro UI. I am running the BackgroundTaskSample demo app.
    Any ideas? Thanks
      var tileXml = Notifications.TileUpdateManager.getTemplateContent(Notifications.TileTemplateType.tileWideText03);

// You will need to look at the template documentation to know how many text fields a particular template has
    // You can also use the Advanced Tile SDK Sample to preview all of the templates

// get the text attributes for this template and fill them in
    var tileAttributes = tileXml.getElementsByTagName("text");
    tileAttributes[0].appendChild(tileXml.createTextNode("Sending Complete Notification!!"));

// create the notification from the XML
    var tileNotification = new Notifications.TileNotification(tileXml);

// send the notification to the app's default tile
    Notifications.TileUpdateManager.createTileUpdaterForApplication().update(tileNotification);

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:46 PM

Answers

• OK so here's the fundamental thing I should hava tried earlier! I had to Restart my VM running Win8 Dev Preview and all tiles are now showing up!

Thanks for your help!!

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:49 PM

All replies

• You don't see the tile to launch the app? It is possible the tile got un-pinned.  Hit the Windows key (button or icon) and type the name of the app, then right click on it or swipe it to select and select pin.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Ive already tried looking for it/searching within the "Search Apps" TextField - its just now showing up there!
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:45 PM
  • Try just typing a letter B and look through the list.
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:55 PM
  • When I type 'B', I see 5 tiles for apps starting with B including the 'Basic Tiles Sample' that I compiled and ran from Visual Studio Express 11 but I dont see this one in that list for some reason

Friday, November 11, 2011 9:20 PM
  • That is really strange Opti...  To move forward, you can change the manifest and use a different name.  That should install into a different location as if this was a new application.  Change the name attribute in the Identity tag and the DisplayName attribute in the VisualElements tag to get a new icon in the Start menu.
    Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I opened up package.appxmanifest which is in the top-level folder inside BackgroundTaskSample - I see that there are 4 tabs - Application UI (There's a Display Name field in there that I changed, assuming that this is the DisplayName attribuite), Capabilities, Declarations, Content URIs and Packaging. The Packaging tab has t fields, Package Name and Package Display Name but I dont see anything that says "Name", nor do I see an Identity Tag or a VisualElements tag...am I looking at the right place?

Thanks!

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Sorry Opti...

Right click on the manifest and open it with the text editor.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Modified the package.appxmanifest as follows...rebuilt solution and Ran it...Still dont see a Tile Showing up on the Start Page or if I search for Apps

<Identity Name="BackgroundTask.BackgroundTaskSampleDemo" Version="1.0.0.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />
      <Properties>
        <DisplayName>BackgroundTask.BackgroundTaskSampleDemo</DisplayName>
        <PublisherDisplayName>Microsoft Corporation</PublisherDisplayName>
        <Description>BackgroundTask SDK Sample</Description>
        <Logo>images\storeLogo-sdk.png</Logo>
      </Properties>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="en-us" />
      </Resources>
      <Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.2</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.2</OSMaxVersionTested>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Applications>
        <Application Id="FeatureName" StartPage="default.html">
          <VisualElements DisplayName="BackgroundTaskSampleDemo" Logo="images\squareTile-sdk.png" SmallLogo="images\smallTile-sdk.png" Description="Background Task Sample" ForegroundText="dark" BackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" InitialRotationPreference="landscape">

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Try this and if that does not work, just create a new application for now:

<Identity Name="JeffBackgroundTask.BackgroundTaskSample" Version="1.0.0.0" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />
      <Properties>
        <DisplayName>jeffBackgroundTask.BackgroundTaskSample</DisplayName>
        <PublisherDisplayName>Microsoft Corporation</PublisherDisplayName>
        <Description>BackgroundTask SDK Sample</Description>
        <Logo>images\storeLogo-sdk.png</Logo>
      </Properties>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="en-us" />
      </Resources>
      <Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.2</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.2</OSMaxVersionTested>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Applications>
        <Application Id="FeatureName" StartPage="default.html">
          <VisualElements DisplayName="JeffBackgroundTaskSample" Logo="images\squareTile-sdk.png" SmallLogo="images\smallTile-sdk.png" Description="Background Task Sample" ForegroundText="dark" BackgroundColor="#FFFFFF" ToastCapable="true" InitialRotationPreference="portrait">
            <LockScreen Notification="badgeAndTileText" BadgeLogo="images\badgelogo.png" />

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:34 PM
  • OK so here's the fundamental thing I should hava tried earlier! I had to Restart my VM running Win8 Dev Preview and all tiles are now showing up!

Thanks for your help!!

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Oh goodness!  Sorry I did not think of having you try that.  Previews are a bit preview (is that a word?)!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:50 PM
  • lol - Previews are a bit "preview" (is that a word?)! perhaps the quotes qualifies it:) Now Im going to go back to my original problem of trying to send a notification to the Tile from the BackgroundTaskSample code!
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:54 PM