none
This is a great product RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was thinking about teaching my kids (9 and 11) some basic software concepts for a long time. But I could not find a good language/env for this. I was seriously preparing to dig out old qbasic or VB until I got a link of this project from a friend. 

It is exactly what I am looking for. It is simple and clean, with all the software language concept and easy for kids to play with. I don't think you need to put "professional" things here too much because if my kids really show interesting and passion on software, I will make them face VisualStudio level env.

Thanks!
    ric
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Thanks QHDY.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:41 PM
  • As someone who "grew up" with programming the Commodore 64, I'm very excited to see Microsoft support the "homebrew programmers", not just with Small Basic, but also with the Popfly and Visual Studio Express editions.

The current version 0.2 has a few bugs and issues (mainly problems with certain math functions, which seem to stem from the fact that my danish-language Windows uses a comma for decimal delimiter), but I am sure these can and will be ironed out, and I sincerely hope to see Small Basic become part of the accessories that ship with future versions of Windows -- it's a lovely little creative toy for "kids" of almost all ages.

Tinkering with a BASIC that is this "basic" has had me down memory lane, to the times when I was mastering another, very basic BASIC back in the 1980's, and the "Wow's" that came with creating something new and sometimes unexpected, just by typing "magic" words and numbers. Like the good ol' Commodore 64, Small Basic could potentially teach millions of unlikely programmers a thing or two about coding.

38911 BASIC bytes free...
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:01 PM