Suggestion for a good 2nd SQL book? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.  I had purchased a while back Beginning SQL by Wrox and thought it was a pretty good book, but it was for beginners.  I was wondering if anyone had any other good books that they might suggest to me.  I would like this to focus on the query language itself, as I use Access more than SQL Server and am really more interested in learning the language.  So, focusing on what I can do with SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, etc. Statements and other database statements, like creating tables and fields, etc.  I'm curious what suggestions everyone might have.

Thank you again.  :)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 10:29 PM

Answers

• There's the rub.  As you get more "advanced", the capabilities diverge more and more depending upon which platform you're using.  I can suggest some really good advanced TSQL querying books, but no guarantees that they'll be good for Access!

Have a look at these:
      - Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Querying
      - Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Programming
      - Professional SQL Server 2005 Programming (Wrox) by Robert Vieira

HTH!
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by C_Newbie01 Monday, March 16, 2009 1:00 AM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:12 AM

All replies

• I just wanted to post back to see if anyone had any ideas.  I would still really like to have a good second book that I could use as reference for more advanced Query / Insert / Update calls...

Thanks,
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:31 PM
  • There's the rub.  As you get more "advanced", the capabilities diverge more and more depending upon which platform you're using.  I can suggest some really good advanced TSQL querying books, but no guarantees that they'll be good for Access!

Have a look at these:
      - Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Querying
      - Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Programming
      - Professional SQL Server 2005 Programming (Wrox) by Robert Vieira

HTH!
    Aaron Alton | thehobt.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by C_Newbie01 Monday, March 16, 2009 1:00 AM
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Thanks Aaron.  That's really my big problem.  I've had a hard time finding something good that wasn't specific to a SQL Server or some other database type.  I really do appreciate the suggestions and will take a look at those books.  Thank you very much.  :)
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Hello,

If the tips of Aaron are good for you,please, could you mark his post as answer ?
    A thread marked as answered is more viewed by forum visitors ( and it is a nice way to say : thanks )

I would add 2 books ( in fact with the same authors but for Sql Server 2005 for the 1st and 2008 for the 2nd )
    Programming Microsoft SQL Server 2005 ( or 2008 )
    3 authors Leonard Lobel, Andrew J Brust and Stephen Forte
    Microsoft Press

I have the edition 2008 : it is an useful book ( for me ), bur in 3 months, i have had no time to read more the 500 first pages (on 1000)

Have a nice day

PS : i have the 2 first books quoted by Aaron and i am waiting for the release of these books for SQL Server 2008 (March or June 2009) to buy the new editions
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Sorry, I thought it was marked as answered...  I must have forgotten.  I always make sure to do that...

Sorry...
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:01 AM