none
Can Task Path Bar Styles be left static from view to view? RRS feed

• Question

• I just got access to a 2013 upgrade and I see that the big new capability is to use a "Task Path" function.  I see that if you check any one of the 4 types (like driving predecessor) then Project will insert symbology for a milestone, task, and summary into Format==>BarStyles for that type.  Furthermore, Project inserts those bar styles where it makes sense to Project.  If you uncheck a particular Task Path function, then Project removes all the bar styles for that function.

The problem is that what makes sense for Project maybe doesn't make sense for my team and myself.  For example, I might want the Predecessor bar style to be shown even over a critical item.  Or maybe I want to show a different bar style for something that is a Predecessor and is critical.

How can we create a view that identifies the Task Function bar styles that we want (maybe with different colors or bar shapes) and preserve those bar styles so that it is easily repeatable?

Chris

Monday, November 17, 2014 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

After doing some tests, I see that the format bar styles are dynamic. Meaning that if you don't check the "critical path" option in the "format" tab, the corresponding bar style will not be there in the bar style dialog box.

The consequence is that you can do what you request above (I tried and it worked well) but as soon as you'll change your formatting selection (critical path, task path..) then you'd loose your formatting style.

I guess that for this too, you could do some VBA.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, November 17, 2014 7:12 PM
  • I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but Bar Styles are applied in descending order within the Bar Styles dialogue box.  If you want the Normal, Active Path, Successor tasks (in purple) to be displayed in purple, even if they are critical, then move the row BELOW the  critical row.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, November 17, 2014 8:33 PM
  • Ben -

The issue is that I shouldn't have to mess with the bar styles each time I click on "Driving Predecessors" to move bars around.  I should be able to set-up an analysis view of my choosing, name the view, then distribute it to my enterprise users via the enterprise global.  Based on the replies that have been received, it confirms my suspicion that Microsoft's implementation does not allow these new bar styles to be set and forgotten.

Sounds like I will need to develop some VBA. 

Bottom line: the biggest new feature for MS Project appears to be a bust.  Sigh.

Chris

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:51 AM
  • Chris -

The order of the rows in the Bar Styles dialogue box is specific to the view, so if I have both the CP and Driven Successors selected, on one view I can have the CP take precedence, and on another view, the Driven Successors can take precedence.  This is the standard functionality that has been in Project for a long time.  I see no reason why you cannot save this view to the Enterprise Global, and achieve what you desire. 

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:26 PM
  • Ben, the problem is that bar styles for Driven Successors is dynamically introduced and removed by Project whenever you toggle that function.  Yes, you can create another set of bar styles for Driven Successors and give them different names, but the moment you toggle-on the Driven Successors function, Project is going to introduce their own Driven Successors bar styles in addition to the ones that I have created.  Consider the following example where I toggled-on Path Driven Successors, then added my name to the begining of each of the 3 Path Drive Successor Bar Styles.  I then toggled-off that function, then toggled it back on.  Please look at what happened to the Bar Styles:

As can be seen from this example, the bar styles that Microsoft introduced after I re-toggled the Path Driven Successors is now below the ones that I renamed.  Yes, I could put my version of Path Driven Successors at the bottom of the Bar Styles so that mine will take precedence, but I am annoyed that the tool is using logic for which I have no control in terms of where it is inserting those dynamic bar styles.  Why couldn't the tool just recognize a certain set of bar styles and leave it to us as to whether or not we want them in a view? 

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Chris,

You've stated your thoughts and problems eloquently; as for why the tool doesn't work the way you want, that is a question that we on this forum cannot answer.

I'm sorry you cannot work with the tool as it is.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:03 PM