none
Why does Excel not like this XLSX file? RRS feed

Answers

• Add this in your \[content_types].xml and you are good to go !

<Default Extension="vml" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.vmlDrawing"/>

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi David,
    Thank you for your inquiry about Microsoft Office Specifications. We have created an incident for investigating this issue. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Wednesday, May 2, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Hello David - 

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. I've taken ownership of this issue.

Can you please share what exactly is the scenario? Are you embedding a word document in this excel file and that's when the file becomes corrupted? Is this file generated by office or some other tool ?  

Thanks

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 5:49 AM
  • Hi Tarun;

This is created by our app from an Excel file. We're basically copying everything across including the embedded Word document.

From everything in the spec, and comparing to the source XLSX (created by Excel), everything is correct. The Open XML validator says it's all good. But Excel doesn't like it.

Do you guys have some way to get more information out of Excel about what it is unhappy about?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Hello Dave:

We have to debug the excel using windbg to do RCA. Is it possible for you to share the original excel file from which you copied over the content so that we can compare that with this broken file?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 4:16 PM
  • Hello Dave:

I don't see *.vml.rels and *.vml parts in your worksheet. Was it not there in original file as well? I embedded a word document inside excel and it did create .vml parts. 

Thanks.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 6:08 PM
  • Hi;

I will get you all this. Hang on a day as I just found something similar in DOCX and I might be able to figure it out that way.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Sure. In the meantime I debugged excel and observed that Excel doesn't like following types in \[Content_Types].xml. 

<Override PartName="/xl/embeddings/Microsoft_Word_Document0.docx" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.oleObject"/>

<Override PartName="/xl/embeddings/Microsoft_Word_Document1.docx" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.oleObject"/>

But if I delete it then the OLE object doesn't show up. There is some issue on how this file is generated.

Thanks

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:45 AM
  • Hello Dave:

Would like to check if there is any update on this issue. Did you make any progress ?

Thanks

Monday, May 7, 2018 3:51 PM
  • Hello Dave-

Do you need any further assistance from our side on this issue? If yes, kindly let us know and we will be more than happy to assist. 

Thanks,

Friday, May 11, 2018 6:50 PM
  • Sorry - I was out of town. I'm making progress on the Word side for this and so I'll try the same changes on XLSX. I'll let you know either way (success or failure).

thanks - dave

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Sure, Dave.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:57 PM
  • Hi;

Here is a very simple original and then the file we generate.

I still can't figure out why it doesn't like this. Any help is very appreciated.

thanks - dave

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi;

Yeah - same thing here. It's not in the original file but we put it in the output, I assume because it is usually needed.

thanks - dave

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:59 PM
  • There are missing parts in you generated file, Dave. Is this intentional or an oversight? 

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Hi;

This is intentional. We generate a more sparse file than Excel does. Plus we don't use shared strings, everything is inline.

thanks - dave

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Hello Dave: I debugged the issue and here are my observations. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fixing these 2 steps will take care of file repairing issue

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. As pointed earlier, Word doesn't expect following type in \[content_types].xml

<Override PartName="/xl/embeddings/Microsoft_Word_Document0.docx" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.oleObject" />

2. Following relationship in sheet1.xml.rels is incorrect. It should have 'package' instead of 'oleObject'

<Relationship Id="rId2" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/oleObject" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Word_Document0.docx" />

It should be 

<Relationship Id="rId2" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/package" Target="../embeddings/Microsoft_Word_Document0.docx" /

---------------------------

OLE Rendering Issue:

---------------------------

Now above 2 points will address file repair issue but your file still doesn't show OLE object and the reason for that is you don't have following relationship in sheet1.xml.rels and <legacyDrawing r:id="rId3"/> in sheet1.xml

<Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/vmlDrawing" Target="../drawings/vmlDrawing1.vml"/>

For testing I removed <legacyDrawing r:id="rId3"/> element from sheet2.xml and     <Relationship Id="rId3" Type="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/relationships/vmlDrawing" Target="../drawings/vmlDrawing1.vml"/> relationship from sheet2.xml.rels and then your working excel sheet behaved exactly like your generated sheet i.e. both missed OLE object rendering. This makes me feel that you need to include .vml files for OLE rendering to work.

Thanks

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:59 PM
  • Hi;

First off, thank you for the first half. Got that working.

On the second half, I did all this including adding the vml drawing (see this file). And with this I get an error and no object.

Is there some place where it makes the relationship between that drawing and the object? If so, that is likely the problem. But I can't find anything that connects the two.

??? - thanks - dave

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Looking at it, Dave. If we let excel repair the file, then OLE object loads fine. Adding VML files have helped. I'll debugging excel to spot the issue, will get back !

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:04 PM
  • Add this in your \[content_types].xml and you are good to go !

<Default Extension="vml" ContentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.vmlDrawing"/>

Friday, May 18, 2018 5:40 PM
  • Oh god - I'm an idiot.

thank you!!!

Friday, May 18, 2018 6:58 PM