Installing ODP.net on the client and server machines RRS feed

• Question

• User-725020093 posted

Hi ,

I am installing ODP.net on the client and server machines to support the new ODP.net data provider provided by Oracle for .net 4 and above. How do I install this dlls is there any installer provided for easy installations. I tried OUI installer provided on Oracle website and it seems to be installing the oracle db client. Can anyone plz guide me on this installation and setup on client and server machines for 32 and 64 bit machines (for client - server application).

Thanks

Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:28 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

The unmanaged driver requires installation of both the client and the Oracle Data Access driver DLL and is BIT specific 32 bit vs 64 bit

The managed driver is a DLL that has both the client and the Oracle Data Access driver built into one, and it works for both 32 and 64 bit.

The managed driver has some additional configuration setup in the application and web config as explained in their documentation,

but the application coding is pretty much compatible with the legacy unmanaged driver.

The managed driver does not work in FIPS-140 ENABLED environments if you are using Oracle 10g or 11g, but does work in FIPS-140 enabled environments in Oracle 12c.

I have used the managed driver in console apps, WPF apps, and Web ASP.NET apps for small business applications and data warehouse analysis without issues.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, October 18, 2015 2:38 PM